In Chinese tradition, confinement refers to a one-month period after child birth where new mothers are required to follow a set of strict practices, believed to help in recovery and future health. Confinement focuses on two main areas – meals and practices. The food consumed during confinement are prepared specially to promote healing, fight infection and help to replenish Mom’s nutrition from breast-feeding.
In recent years, more modern couples are opting for confinement food catering to avoid the hassles of planning, shopping and prepping the confinement food at home. 12 years ago, when my sis first delivered my nephew, my Mom insisted on personally cooking her confinement meals. BIG MISTAKE. The kitchen was perpetually in a mess, the fringe was bursting beyond capacity, my Mom was constantly probing my sis what she would like to eat and worse, my sis disliked the greasiness of the food prepared by my Mom. This time round, she’s grown wiser and decided to have her confinement meals from Tian Wei Signature delivered to her doorstep every day. My sister, who recently delivered a baby, happily declared her kitchen closed for a month, as she indulged in 28 days of fully-catered, yummy and nutritious meals.
Confinement food caterers are aplenty but here are 7 Reasons What We Like About Tian Wei Signature:
1 WHOLESOME FOOD WITH NO MSG: There are zero artificial flavours added and zero MSG in Tian Wei‘s confinement food. All meals are low in fat, low in sodium and spice. Each confinement meal comes with 1 litre of specially brewed red dates teas or dried longan teas which will alleviate water retention and dispel “wind” in the body. Plus we like the fact that Tian Wei uses lots of natural herbs and ingredients in the preparation of confinement meals so that Moms can reap the health benefits: Old Ginger, Black Fungus, Angelica (Dang Gui), Red Dates, Black Vinegar, Sesame Oil which help to dispel wind, strengthening the immune system and improve blood circulation. My Mom also commented that the fish served in the meals are those expensive, good quality ones like Salmon and Threadfin.
2. CUSTOMISED & FLEXIBLE: When I was browsing Tian Wei‘s confinement meal website while my sis was in the delivery ward, I was impressed that they actually allow for customisation. Since my sis underwent emergency C-section, my Mom strictly instructed me to indicate, “No Chicken, No Eggs” for the first 10 days. Our online order was promptly followed up with a phone-call the next morning by a friendly Tian Wei staff to verify the start date. Very efficient and professional! For those who prefer not to cater a full 28 day’s lunch and dinner, you have the flexibility to cater for single meals or for shorter period of time.
3. HOT & HASSLE FREE: Food was always delivered hot in a foil-lined thermal bag, and either early or right on meal time. The tubs are well sealed to prevent spills into the thermal bag. All my sis had to do was transfer the food onto proper plates before sitting down to enjoy her meals. No need to mess with cleaning, washing up or having to put up with the icky feeling of stepping into a greasy kitchen (and greasy house!).
4. NUTRITIOUS FOR BREAST-FEEDING MUMS: Their meals are planned by the head chef, Eugene Tan with more than 16 years’ experiences preparing confinement food. Each meal has the ideal nutritions for a healthy and well-balanced post-partum die. The dishes come rich with breastfeeding-friendly ingredients such as fennel, fenugreek, and green papaya to boost milk supply. Even the daily staple comprises of low GI grains: from healthy brown rice to quinoa, white rice, five grain rice to barley millet mixed rice, tri-coloured rice etc. In fact, I was told Tian Wei incorporates 8 types of rice into their menu so that Moms will have a variety and will not feel bored with eating only one type of rice during the whole confinement period. That’s impressive!
5. TASTY & HOMELY WITHOUT THE FUSS: Tian Wei’s food is tasty and homely. My sister especially loves the herbal soups, the dessert (such as the Signature Red Bean Puree with Orange Peel) and the red date teas. Many of us associate traditional confinement food as oily and heaty but the dishes served by Tian Wei are perfectly balanced in terms of flavor – never too oily, salty or bland. This can be further evidenced by the many positive reviews Tian Wei’s customers left on their Instagram and Facebook! Some examples of the dishes my sis particularly enjoyed are: Steamed Threadfin Fillet with Ginger and Black Fungus, Red Fermented Wine Chicken, Braised Pork Trotter in Black Vinegar and Stir-fried Pork Liver with White Bee Hoon and Kai Lan.
6. BEST OF BOTH CUISINES (TRADITIONAL & FUSION): Most confinement caterers only serve traditional Chinese confinement dishes. Not so with Tian Wei! The dedicated chefs at Tian Wei Signature are passionate about culinary nutrition, and have explored various ways to make confinement food more innovative. Their confinement dishes have been creatively modified with a modern twist, making every dish different yet not lacking in essential nutrition. I was intrigued that Tian Wei confinement meals included Western and Japanese Fusion dishes several times a week! I mean, my sis was served restaurant-standard meals like Kurobuta Pork Loin with Apple Mirin Sauce and Spaghetti, Goma-Ae Grilled Chicken with Spinach served with Ginger Miso Soup and Calrose Rice, Mediterranean Tomato Cumin Chicken Stew with Eggplant, Seared Salmon with Cauliflower Cream and Tri-colour Grains.
Take a look at their innovative Fusion Confinement Menu here.
7. GENEROUS PORTIONS: Tian Wei‘s confinement meal portions are enough to feed 2 adults so my brother in law shared the food with my sister every dinner. Here’s what they received inside the thermal bag at every meal:
• 1 Meat (Fish, Pork, Chicken)
• 1 Veg
• 1 Staple (Rice/Noodles)
• 1 Soup/Dessert
• 2 Red Date Herbal Teas
Here’s a link to their Confinement Food Menu. My sis actually bookmarked the menu to see what food will be delivered for each day.
HOW TO ORDER?
Order through Tian Wei Signature’s website 1 month before EDD and enjoy the early bird offer of up to SGD128 off your confinement meal catering! You can also order their trial meals for a taste test first before deciding.
Confinement period may seem torturous to some Moms because of the strict rules. When it comes to confinement meals, my sister has made the right choice, as a 2nd time Mom, to leave it in the trusted hands of Tian Wei Signature, so that she can be truly free to channel her energy towards her newborn son. If you know of any expectant Moms, do share this excellent confinement meal caterer with them!