If you are a fan of coconut-based desserts like Chendol, Honeydew Sago, Red Rubies and Bu-bur Cha-cha, you are going to obsess over this.
“Es Teler,” meaning “Drunk Ice,” is a Sweet Fruit Cocktail which apparantly is a popular road-side treat throughout Indonesia. Some websites even termed Es Teler as ‘Indonesia’s National Drink!’ and to think that I only discovered and tasted this heavenly dessert for the 1st time at a company lunch yesterday!
Es Teler usually comprised of sliced avocado, young coconut, jackfruit and nata de coco. You can also add in any variety of sweet melons to enhance the taste.
What you will need:
500ml of Coconut milk
250ml of Coconut juice (or you can dilute the Coconut milk with 50% water to replace Coconut juice)
1 cup of Ice cubes
1 ripened Avocados
4 to 6 pcs of Jackfruit segments
4 Pandan leaves
125g to 200g of Sugar or Honey
(*This is usually prepared quite sweet, but when making this at home you are in control!)
1 cup of Coconut flesh
Nata de cocos
Watermelon, Honeydew etc
2 Tbsp Condensed Milk
1. Finely slice/ dice the Coconut flesh, Jackfruit, Avocados and Nata de cocos. Set aside.
2. In a pot, combine Coconut milk, Coconut juice, Sugar and Pandan leaves. Bring to a boil.
3. Cool the coconut mixture to room temperature.
4. Pour the cooled coconut mixture and ice cubes into a blender and blend until the ice cubes become slush.
5. Arrange the diced fruits in a bowl (or glass) and pour the coconut mixture overtop.
6. Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk before serving (optional).
7. Served Cold and enjoy the Es Teler with a spoon!
I was so enamoured with Es Teler that I googled for the recipe and made a special trip to the supermarket right after work to hunt for the necessary ingredients. I’ve bought young coconuts (for its flesh and juice), avocados, coconut milk and nata de cocos. Only lacking the yummy Chempadaks (Jackfruit) which I can get from the Ghim Moh wet market this Saturday. Can’t wait to make my own version of Es Teler and surprise the hubs and Dana with this sweet treat. I’m sure they’ll love it as much as I do.
Dominique Goh says
Really yummy dessert. Have yet to taste something like that. Seems quite easy to make but maybe hard for me to find all the ingredients.
Looks good! don’t mind having a bowl of this dessert right now ..