Meaningful Indoor fun and learning at Science Centre Singapore
If you need ideas to occupy the kids this year-end school holidays which coincided with the monsoon season (read: raining almost daily), the Science Center has lined up exciting indoor programs for the entire family!
Circus! Science under the Big Top:
A travelling exhibition that originated from the Ontario Science Center, it offers 20 interactive hands-on exhibits that allow kids to see and experience how some gravity ‘defying’, mind-boggling circus acts are performed using science concepts.
- Elastic Acrobatics (Cloud Swing): Swing on the trapeze high in the air and experience how it feels like to be ‘gravity free’!
- The High Wire: More gravity defying with a high-wire cable walk 3-metres above ground.
- Contortionist: Experience the art of ‘packanatomicalization’ (didn’t know such a word exists!) where you fold yourself into a small cube. Unravel how science made this possible!
- Balance Bar: Discover which law of physics help circus performers balance on the tightrope. Try and see how long you can balance yourself!
- Circus Music (Windjams): Create some circus music of your own with this unique contraption!
The activities are interesting and diversified. While some of these have age and height limits, younger kids are not left-out. There are also plenty of activities under the Big Top to engage them too!
Exhibition Date: 28 Oct 2017 – 18 March 2018
Venue: The Annexe, Science Centre Singapore
Time: 10am – 6pm
For more information on Circus! Science, visit here.
Tinker Fest – Flights of Fancy
More Science fun in the Tinker Fest workshops happening this week of the school holidays!
The theme “Flights of Fancy” promotes the learning of science concepts through hands-on activities that are highly engaging, foster risk-taking and getting past the fear of failure. Humans invented many ways to fly: planes, helicopters, rockets, parachutes, etc. Each was born from a creator’s mind and perfected again and again to achieve its goal. For our children to become the innovators of tomorrow, they must look back to inventors from past times to understand how reaching the sky developed from dream to reality!
- Spin and Fly: Design and make your own motorized plane. Attach it to a string and see it fly around you!
- Egg Drop Challenge: Learn how to build a simple parachute and test it on a real egg. You will have to apply some critical thinking skills to ensure the eggs land safely!
- Make Paper Fly: Apply scientific concepts and see the various ways how you can make paper fly. Intriguing!
These hands-on workshops are fully guided by team of excellent Science Center facilitators.
Dana looked pretty serious when having her hands-on activity here as attempts the various experiments. All this while, Buddy simply had fun tinkering around with the many nuts, bolts and screws around – a budding engineer and scientist in the making!
Exhibition Date: 27 Nov. 2017 – 3 Dec. 2017
Venue: Tinkering Studio (Hall E), Science Centre Singapore
Time: 10am – 5:30pm
1 Parent + 1 Child = S$30 (Additional child = S$15 each)
(All ticket charges include any applicable Science Center admission fees)
Pre-register the workshops here.
Artic Express with the Chipsleys at Snow City
Well, since it’s the Monsoon season here, why not let your children indulge in some snow play? At Snow City, families can ‘visit’ some famous landmarks around the world along with the Chipsley, make pit stops at these destinations, collect stamps and win some souvenirs. There will be mascot and Santa appearances as well as caroling sessions on the weekends to usher in a truly white Christmas here in Singapore.
For our adrenaline-loving daughter, she absolutely loves the 3-story slide while Buddy had his first snow slide with Daddy! Some tips for families: Even though cold wear and accessories are available for loan free, if you have your own waterproof pants, gloves and footwear, bring them along to save yourself time and hassle at the entrance trying to look for the appropriate sizes. It was rather chaotic with the weekend crowd as the area was congested. Overall, still worth the fun esp. as a precursor to experiencing actual snow.
Exhibition Date: 4 Nov. 2017 – 31 Dec. 2017
Venue: Snow City, Science Centre Singapore
Time: Various timings
Price: Activities are free with Snow City admission
Thanks Science Centre Singapore for the invite!