Asia’s biggest flower and garden show, Singapore Garden Festival (新加坡花园节) is back this year, bigger and better, presenting a dazzling kaleidoscope of colors, creativity and floral beauty to our tiny island. Held for the 1st time on the sprawling grounds of Gardens by the Bay, visitors can adore Asia’s finest orchids, spend a relaxing day in the beautifully primed gardens lined with amazing floral installations, shop for your gardening needs and attend horticultural talks and other hands-on activities.
|Singapore Garden Festival, held at GBTB for the 1st time!|
|Glorious morning sight…|
With over 2 hectares (about 4 football fields) of award-winning flower designers from all over the world showcasing their impressive landscape creations and a vibrant marketplace, the Singapore Garden Festival, presented in the following 7 zones, is family event not-to-be-missed:
1. Landscape and Fantasy Gardens – Spectacular ‘Best of Show’ creations by local and top award-winning designers from renowned garden shows around the world.
|British landscape artist, Andy Sturgeon’s Full Circle installation…|
2. Floral Windows to the World – An enchanting display of flowers, creatively and delicately designed by celebrated local and international floral designers.
|Budding nature photographer…|
|Whimsical trees dressed in colourful tights, reminds me of the Truffulas in Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax!|
3. Balcony Gardens – Colourful displays that gives visitors inspirations to transform their own balconies into a soothing personal retreat.
4. Miniature Gardens – Create something you might not have the space or time to do in your own backyard and make garden fantasies come to life.
|Daddy’s hand-held macro shots…|
|My fav shades of white and green…|
5. Orchid Extravaganza – Step inside the Flower Dome and you’re in orchids heaven with 18,000 orchid plants all under one roof. The Orchid Kaleidoscope showcases a variety of orchids on a 10m tall structure — the largest ever built within the Dome.
|Orchids in all shapes, sizes and colours!|
|These made me smile…|
|An award-winning breed, how exquisite!|
7. Vibrant Marketplace – Shopping under one roof at the Gardens – a multitude of plants and gardening related products are on sale here. We scored a beautiful blue pea plant for S$6.50!
Our early Saturday outing to the Singapore Garden Festival left us so in awe of God’s marvellous creations. We only wish we had more time so we can finish touring all the exhibits. If you’re a nature lover (like us), don’t miss it!
|Step into the 10m-tall Orchid Kaleidoscope!|
|In the magical garden…|
SINGAPORE GARDEN FESTIVAL 2014
|Entrance at The Meadows|
Where: The Meadows in Gardens by the Bay
When: 16 to 24 August 2014, 10am to 10pm
|Entry to the Singapore Garden Festival includes entry into the Flower Dome.|
Time needed: Be prepared to spend minimum 4 hours to explore the festival at a leisurely pace. We were there from 8.30am to 1.30pm and only managed to cover half of the exhibits. Visit on a weekday or in the evenings to avoid the crowds.
|GBTB – an oasis in our garden city|
Take the exit A from Marina Bay MRT station then the bus 400. Alight at the 4th stop.
Take the exit B from Bayfront MRT station and follow the underground link that will lead you to Dragonfly Bridge directly in the Gardens.
If you walk from Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre, cross the Lions Bridge on level 4 which will lead you to Dragonfly Bridge into the Gardens.
Info: Go to www.singaporegardenfestival.com
|Map of the SGF 2014|
COLOURS PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION
Bring your camera when you visit Singapore Garden Festival 2014. Submit your photos taken with the theme “Colours” by 7 September and you could win attractive prizes from Canon!
Submit your entries via the SGF Facebook here. Results will be out in end September. Have fun!
|For more details, click here|