Will Kids like CATS?
CATS The Musical, need no introduction. Aside from its famous tune, ‘Memory’ which has never failed to sweep audiences’ feet off theatre carpets, the musical has swept seats off West End and Broadway faster than anyone can say “Meow”. It has won multiple international awards including the Grammy’s. In fact, it is one of the very few musicals that are the longest-running in Broadway and West End for a record-breaking 21 years.
But how can I help my kids to appreciate CATS The Musical?
The musical is choc-full of gems to keep primary-school kids entertained IF you know how to steer them as the musical moves along. Here are some tips!
- Plot – Keep it Simple. Focus on the Characters.
Based on the poem, ‘Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats’ by T.S. Elliot, CATS The Musical features the characteristics of different cats seeking to be chosen for rebirth on that one special night a year by Old Deuteronomy, their wise and benevolent leader. Each cat takes turns to tell their story and show their unique characteristics in order to be picked.
Look out for interesting and wacky characters like ‘Rum Tum Tugger’, Mr ‘Mistoffeless’, the tap-dancing ‘Jennyanydots’, ‘Skimbleshanks’, the railroad cat and ‘Grizabella’ the old glamour cat. Not forgetting ‘Macavity’, the one that makes lights go out who comes close as the ‘villian’ but not quite.
2. Songs and Dance: Sing and Tap Along!
Plenty of toe-tapping and melodic songs across different genres like anthems, swing and ballads will keep the kids (and if I may add, adults too) entertained! Make it a point to check the band pit during intervals to say ‘Hi’ to the musicians! Psst – They allow audience to go onto stage to take a quick photo with Old Deuteronomy during the first 10 minutes of intermission!
3. Ogle at the Larger-than-Life Characters: Kids will be fascinated with human-sized cats in over-the-top makeup and costumes prancing around on a stage (and some even next to you) with ‘gigantic’ props. Give kids some time to ogle at the props and get them to identify some interesting and huge backyard items.
4. Talk about the Plot: From rhyming words to genre of songs. From dance styles to interesting adjectives, get kids to listen to the lyrics and talk about it. Older kids can discuss their own opinions of which cats deserved to be chosen for rebirth.
5. Sit next to the Aisles: It’s an open secret that the CATS do mingle with the audiences as part of the show. Do consider getting the stall seats (on ground level) near the center corridor aisles for an added opportunity to mingle with these frolicking felines!
CATS in Singapore, 2019
The current run of CATS the Musical in Singapore follows the successful run at the London Palladium and the UK tour in 2016. The production reunites the original creative team comprising of award-winning composer, Andrew Lloyd Webber and director, Trevor Nunn, Associate director and choreographer, Gillian Lynne and Designer, John Napier.
No wonder, when David – an Andrew Lloyd Webber aficionado, saw the opening scene, he immediately remarked that it looked identical to the DVD production! The singing and dances were phenomenal. Our kids, including the 5 year-old Buddy were well engaged.
Special mention must be made of the following:
- Joanna Ampil’s Grizabella: Joanna Ampil is a familiar name in the world of musical theatre and she has previously performed in several West End musicals, including Miss Saigon, Jesus Christ Superstar and Les Misérables. She was ‘purr-fect’ as the role of Grizabella in CATS, bringing across the melancholy, regrets and hope from the aging glamour cat. Her heart-wrenching rendition of ‘Memory’ gave us goosebumps. Worthy of mention is also the contrast of the same tune sung by the younger female cat.
- The LIVE Music Ensemble: It’s always a treat to hear Webber’s music LIVE but this was truly an experience particularly with its lively syncopated rhythms and highly melodic tunes.
- Nicholas Pound’s Old Deuteronomy: Performed by another experienced West End actor, the wise old cat, Old Deuteronomy, who held all the Jellicle cats together grounded the musical with his perfect final hymn-like chorus delivered in a moving baritone voice.
CATS IN SINGAPORE 2019
Show Dates Tue, 17 Dec 2019 – Sun, 5 Jan 2020
Show Times: Tue – Fri: 8pm | Sat: 2pm & 8pm | Sun: 1pm & 6pmVenue
Venue: Sands Theatre at Marina Bay Sands
Tickets from $50: https://www.sistic.com.sg/events/ccats0120
SPECIAL PAYLAH PROMO 2019
More Drama. All Fun.
Catch Andrew Lloyd Webber’s record-breaking musical CATS this December and enjoy more discounts when you Just PayLah! Enjoy the promotional price of S$220 for 2 tickets to CATS (U.P. S$260 – S$360) on SISTIC.com or SISTIC mobile app when you pay with PayLah!
Simply check out your purchase with promo code ’JUSTPAYLAH‘ and you’re done! Valid for A Reserve Side Stalls, B Reserve Centre Stalls and B Reserve Side Stalls. https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/promotion/paylah-sistic-cats