The Philips Avance XL Airfryer has been my indispensable kitchen help since the day it arrived. To date, I’ve used it to air-fry salmon fillets, French fries, chicken nuggets, chicken wings and drumlets, ikea meat balls, even successfully recreated a recipe on grilled Lemongrass Pork Fillets for the Vietnamese Bahn Mi Sandwich. I’m in awe of the air-fryer’s rapid air technology which cooks food with zero (or little) oil and in half the time taken by a conventional oven. In today’s post, I will share two of my family’s favourite recipes which demonstrate the Airfryer’s multi-functional capabilities.
1) Air-Grilled XO Baby Ribs
|Air-Grilled Baby Ribs!|
2 packets of XO Baby Ribs (available at NTUC Finest Supermarkets)
1 Tbsp. Light Soya Sauce
1 Tbsp. Oyster Sauce
1 Tbsp. Dark Soya Sauce
3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Five Spice Powder
1 tsp. Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp. Finely minced Garlic
1. Marinate the ribs with all the ingredients for 4-5 hours.
2. Preheat the Airfryer at 180C. Place the ribs neatly in the Airfyer and grill for 15 mins.
3. Grill at 200C for another 5 mins to get a crispier skin.
4. Garnish and serve.
We didn’t add any oil to grill the ribs. Instead a pool of oil was collected left after air-grilling!
Succulent, juicy ribs at home made possible with the Philips Airfryer!
2) Air-Baked Chocolate Lava Cake
|Air-baked Choc Lava Cake!|
Recipe adapted from Noobcook.com
100g dark chocolate, cut to small cubes
100g unsalted butter, cut to small cubes
50g caster sugar
20g self-raising flour
To decorate (optional)
Icing sugar and small sieve
Vanilla ice cream
Aren’t you surprised the Airfryer can bake too?
1. Melt dark chocolate and butter using the microwave.
2. Use an electric whisk to beat the eggs and sugar till the mixture turns pale and frothy.
3. Pour melted chocolate & butter into the egg mixture. Stir in the flour. Use a spatula to mix everything evenly.
4. Grease your ovenproof ramekins with some melted butter. Fill the ramekin almost 3/4 full with the chocolate mixture and bake in a preheated Airfryer of 180°C for about 8 minutes.
5. When it is baked, remove ramekin from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Use a butter knife to gently loosen the edges and carefully invert the cake onto serving plate. Decorate and serve.
|A favourite dessert for any day of the week!|
Note: The cake is deliberately slightly undercooked so as to achieve its ideal consistency which is runny in the middle but if you over-bake it, you will get a super moist chocolate cake which is yummy too.
If you’re still undecided if you should get a Philips Avance XL Airfryer, here’s my verdict:
1. No Greasy Kitchen – It uses hot air as opposed to oil so you don’t get the greasy smell around your house and you don’t get greasy build up on your kitchen surfaces either! Perfect for our small compact living in urbanized Singapore.
2. Easy to Use – It is easy to use, very sleek and well made. Fits nicely on any kitchen counter top.
3. Quick Preheating – The Airfryer requires just three minutes heat-up time, which is much quicker than preheating an oven.
4. Auto-off Timer – The timer will automatically cut off the heat once the timer reaches ‘0’ and it will sound to let you know your food’s ready. I can let the food cook and busy myself with other housework.
5. Touch Sensitive Full Digital Timer – Greater accuracy in time and temperature means cooking foods at the perfect setting for the best tasting results.
6. Easy to Clean – The removable tray and food basket feature a non-stick coating and are dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning. Just pull the main compartment out then either put it in the dishwasher or a quick scrub will do, just make sure it’s cooled down first, as it can get extremely hot.
7. Economical for Daily Use – No oil needed and no need to clean after every use. Saves lots of water for cleaning!
8. Healthier, Yummier Food – The fact we can eat great tasting (fried) food without feeling guilty is a big, big bonus!
1. Slightly bulky and pricey (but scroll down for a special discount for all readers!)
2. It generates a lot of heat at the bottom and may need a thick coaster if your kitchen counter top is made of laminate.
3. Not very suitable for food with wet batter (e.g. beer battered fish and chips). However, we managed to counter it by coating the fish fillets with a thin layer of bread crumbs before air-frying and it tasted good too.
Overall I couldn’t be more pleased with the Philips Avance Airfryer XL. It’s so easy to use, cooks food in record time and there’s no messy kitchen to clean. With the Philips Airfryer, home cooked meals are healthier, yummier and simpler than ever. So top marks from me! Can’t wait to put it to good use this Christmas and Chinese New Year!
Cook with Air today! Quote [Princess Dana Diaries] and buy Viva Digital Airfryer at $399 + $50 shopping voucher (Usual price: $459) and Avance XL Airfryer at $479 + $50 shopping voucher (Usual price: $539) at the PHILIPS EXPERIENCE SHOWROOM.
This promotion is valid from 1st December till 31st January 2014. *Limited to 1 Airfryer per person (IC must be produced).
The Viva Digital Airfryer and Avance XL Airfryer are also available at regular price in leading electronics stores, departmental stores and supermarkets island-wide. For more information, do check out the Philips Airfryer website.
PHILIPS EXPERIENCE SHOWROOM
Address: 620A Lorong 1 Toa Payoh Building
TP4 Level 1 Singapore 319762
Tel: 6882 5800
Monday to Friday: 9.00 am – 7.00 pm
Saturday: 9.00 am – 1.00 pm.
Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.
For more inspirations and recipes on using the Philips Airfryer, join us at the ‘I Love Philips Airfryer’ Facebook page started by Ms. Dable Kwan from Hong Kong!
Looks yummy!!! Now, let me see if I can convince my sister to buy this, coz I eat at her place very often… :p
That’s a useful pros and cons list. D is still not convinced that it really fries tho. Haha. I guess it’s more a question of counter space for me. Your choc lava cake looks absolutely delish!
Edith C says
haha i just found the answer. A pity cannot do fish and chip. I wonder where granite table top is okay for this fryer. Do I still need to put something under it?
Ashton Chew says
Hi can i check where to get baby pork rib?
Angie. S says
granite table top is fine. 🙂 I put a wooden chopping board below the airfryer as my tabletop is laminate.
thanks for popping by. I buy the baby ribs from NTUC Finest supermarkets. V tender and yummy!
Thk u for sharing!!!:) I got an air fryer as a freebie for purchasing a fridge n was tempted to chuck it? now I’m inspired!
Didn’t know I can bake with an airfryer !
The Choco Lava Cake looks so tempting, my LO with definitely love it.
Nancy Sapone says
Looking for a good country style spare ribs recipe
Those ribs look good. What paper are you using below the ribs?
Angie. S says
thanks for dropping by. I use normal baking paper. 🙂
Bryan Lo says
May I knw every Philip AF has no greasy smell around the house? Cos I recently bought Philip XXL. After every cook my hse can smell. Even I place near the stove with the air suction. But I really like it. I should have buy it earlier.
Angie. S says
good day. We have been using the Philips Air Fryer since its launch and don’t have the issue with the smell. Perhaps you want to bring it to the service centre for them to do some servicing.