Singapore has one of the highest childhood myopia rates in the world. More worryingly, Singapore is actually top in the world for having the highest prevalence of childhood myopia in seven to nine year olds! This is somewhat attributed to our digital lifestyle habits. Myopia can be hereditary and may be passed on when these kids themselves become parents themselves one day. Education therefore is key. However, this role cannot only be performed by school teachers or by the occasional visits from the Health Promotion Board. Parents, grandparents and even children need to be constantly reminded and empowered to take better care of their eyes.
This is where Project Junior by Nanyang Optical comes in.
Trusted Name for Generations
Nanyang Optical is a household name in Singapore for quality optical services and products who is also Singapore’s first eco-friendly eyewear store. It is one of the approved institute to participate in the Baby Bonus Scheme (so we can actually pay for its products using our kids’ Baby Bonus account). As a ‘local brand’, Nanyang Optical fully understand Singaporeans’ eye care needs.
Project Junior is a program where children and parents are empowered to take the education of good eyesight habits into their own hands and to conduct regular monitoring of good habits in order to prevent or stem the worsening of myopia in their children. Project Junior comprises of the following:
1. A colourful and child-friendly brochure with facts on how to take better care of our eyesight presented in simple, understandable manner, which are easy to read even for young school going kids.
2. The Project Junior brochure opens up to a Visual Acuity Chart that is approximated to scale providing guidelines to be followed at home.
3. A Summary Sheet of the eye-test results to be brought home and kept as a record. The Summary Sheet is to be filled in to monitor the development of the child’s eyesight.
4. A full range of award-winning Eyelet Junior spectacles for children.
More than just a Program
A program is only as good as the people who run it.
The team at the United Square branch were friendly, warm and personable during our visits. They were detailed in explaining the content of the Project Junior brochure and did a thorough Eye Vision Test on our daughter before recommending us the appropriate next step of action. As expected, our daughter’s myopia has worsened (again!) by 45 degrees in a short span of 6 months since her last eye-check. We were then shown a range of Eyelet Junior spectacles which will be paired with MyoVision™ lenses from ZEISS Singapore to give her clearer vision and reduce myopia progression.
During the collection of her new spectacles, the optometrist displayed high level of professionalism as she patiently helped my daughter fit her glasses as well as customised the spectacle features to her liking. More importantly, she was very knowledgeable and able to answer the queries of this set of concerned parents.
Award-winning Eyelet Junior Eyewear
Fronting the Project Junior program isNanyang Optical ’s own in-house brand of high quality spectacles for children. The Eyelet Junior range of children spectacles have innovative features that make them attractive and durable.
Some outstanding features of the Eyelet Eyewear include:
- Eco-friendly (with no soldering involved) and the temples are made of recycled polymer
- World’s first soft-lock system: using nylon string to lock the lenses within the rims of the frame
- Made in Japan: sturdy and durable, balances well on the face unlike most thin rimless frame
- Flexible and ‘Expandable’ frames: able to withstand the ‘rough’ use and growing facial frame of kids
- Made of a single frame (i.e. without any hinges): reduces the likelihood of the frame from breaking
- Customisable: The sides of the spectacle frames can be accessorised according to the preference of our kids. Simply detach and replace the coloured borders with a design that the kids prefer. This way your child’s spectacles can be easily differentiated from their siblings’ or friends’, reducing the risk of misplacing the spectacles. Our daughter was very intrigued by this and can’t wait to try it.
- Won many international design awards
Our daughter has been proudly wearing her Eyelet Junior specs to school since the new term and she’s full of praises for it. She feels it’s light, very comfortable and she’s been receiving compliments from her friends on how ‘trendy’ she looks. While we are happy to hear she’s confident of her looks, we take the opportunity to remind her to be more mindful of her daily reading habits to prevent her myopia from worsening at a rapid rate.
Too often than not, vision problems are not detected early leading to detrimental consequences especially for young children.Nanyang Optical hopes to partner parents in Project Junior to increase awareness of early and regular eye screening through this initiative.
Check out Nanyang Optical’s website for other holistic products and services for your children’s eye care needs.
Nanyang Optical Outlets: http://www.nanyang.com.sg/contact.html
SPECIAL PROMO CODE FOR READERS:
Disclosure: We received a pair of Eyelet Junior spectacles for the purposes of this review. All photos, video and opinions are, as usual, authentically ours.
All you need to do is:
Complete the steps in this online widget:
The giveaway ends Sunday 3 December 2017, 11.59pm and is open to readers in Singapore. The winner will be contacted using the email address provided when entering this draw and will have 24 hours to respond, failing which a new winner will be drawn. Winner will have to redeem the prize at the United Square branch before 28 February 2018.
All entries will be verified before the winner is announced, incomplete and unverified entries will be disqualified. Please note that all Facebook and Instagram accounts (e.g. accounts set up purely to take part in contests with no authentic posts or very few real friends) will be disqualified. All the best!