Singapore has just celebrated her 50th Birthday and what a celebration it was! Set against the stunning skyline of Marina Bay, the fireworks and the aerial displays were a grand tribute to our nation’s Golden Jubilee. Singapore’s success didn’t come overnight. From a humble beginning, we arrived at where we are today by getting the fundamentals right while constantly striving to do things better.
Just like Singapore, Volvo, the Swedish car maker, never sits on its laurels. While staying true to its fundamentals, Volvo constantly innovates to give customers a smoother, safer drive with advances in efficient power, connectivity and safety.
Fundamentally Safe – Volvo understands that among all the fanciful features a car can have, the most fundamental is safety. Though Volvo is widely recognized as THE safest family car brand in the industry, the Volvo S60 T5 is proof of their philosophy that safety should never be taken for granted, especially in urban driving conditions. As a Daddy with 2 young children, I am pleased to see the following added features in the Volvo S60 T5:
- City Safety (Active up to 50 km/h) – The newly upgraded City Safety system automatically brakes should the driver fails to react in time when there’s a obstruction ahead. This is one of Volvo’s safety innovations designed to prepare drivers for life’s unexpected moments, like a sudden stop from the car in front of you, or a cyclist zipping past. It will even keep you in your lane or help you park in a tight space.
- Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection technology – New advanced software allows for more paid vision processing and extend Volvo’s detection and auto brake technology to cover certain cyclist situation as well. Very handy for a dense urban environment like Singapore.
- Cornering Light for Better Visibility – The low-speed cornering Light feature extends the current Active Bending Light (ABL) system by lighting up the area the driver is steering towards for a safer drive.
- Lane Keeping Aid – This allows the driver stay in the lane by applying extra steering torque to the steering column when the car gets close to a lane marking and is about to leave the lane. The aid helps drivers to steer back to its intended course. The system is active between driving speeds of 65 km/h to an impressive 200 km/h.
- Enhanced Blind Spot Information System – The enhanced Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) uses a radar-based technology to alert the driver of rapidly approaching vehicles up to 70m behind the car as well as vehicles in blind spots on both sides.
- Road Sign Information – This extra ‘eye’ displays the road signs in the instrument display. Combined with the Speed Alert function, it provides drivers with a visual warning in the speedometer when the speed limit is exceeded.
- Volvo Senses Connect – A cutting-edge technology system which allows the driver to use voice control to operate all infotainment and telecommunications and internet functions so that the driver can keep his eyes constantly on the road ahead. This perfectly reflects Swedish innovation—minimal, intuitive and designed for maximum enjoyment.
Efficiency – The new Volvo T5 S60’s Drive-E is complemented by a new 8-speed automatic gearbox contributes to a much more refined drive and excellent fuel economy for a car in its class. The petrol engines include friction-reduction measures such as ball-bearings on the camshaft, high-speed continuous variable valve timing and a fully variable electric water pump. All these contributing to its class-leading fuel efficiency.
Creature Comfort – With key fundamentals such as safety and efficiency taken care of, Volvo continues to enhance the driver’s experience by ensuring that drivers get an exceptionally comfortable driving experience.
- Refined Interior – The Scandinavian design is exemplified by beautiful, simple shapes and surfaces with no unnecessary clutter. The attention to details such as the wood and leather together with the easy-to-use controls adds to the in-command experience. The plush, full leather interior is the best in its class with sport seats that provide legendary comfort while providing great hugging side support, keeping the driver firmly in position especially during cornering. The interior includes a new Piano Black Deco inlay option with rotary jewel-like knobs in the centre stack.
- New Powertrain – Giving Volvo drivers a dynamic driving experience is the new Dynamic Chassis that provides responsive , in-command driving experience, one of the best in the segment! Better cornering, more thrilling handling, increased torque, power and excitement. The Volvo S50 T5 brings enhanced elements of sporty design inside and out.
- Accentuated Road Presence – Safety and efficiency in the Volvo S60 T5 is accentuated by the front design of the car which increases its road presence with an extended variation of wheel choices to suit the drivers’ personality.
In a nutshell – The Volvo S60 T5 is a premium sedan for families. Feature-packed and responsive, it drives remarkably well and gives the driver complete control on the road while enjoying the scenery along the way. To test drive the car, please visit Volvo’s showroom at:
Wearnes Automotive Pte. Ltd.
249 Alexandra Road
Tel: 65 6473 1488
Volvo Showroom Operating hours:
Monday to Saturday: 8.30am to 7.00pm
Sunday and Public Holidays: 10.00am to 7.00pm
WIN SHELL FUEL VOUCHERS & FULLERTON STAYCATION!
Be rewarded for safe driving: Hop over to this post for your chance to win S$50 fuel vouchers and a Fullerton Family Staycation sponsored by Shell Singapore. Contest ends 28 August 2015. All the best!