National Day Celebrations is always about the people, even more so for Singapore whose strength and spirit of the people is really key to our progress. It is this strength in unity that National Day Parade (NDP) 2017 aims to rally Singaporeans from all walks of life to stand together and uphold Singapore’s sovereignty, defence and security.
Key to our nation’s defence and security are the men and women who dedicate their lives to protecting Singapore around the clock 24/7. These men and women of our defence and security force not only protect us but they do it with 100% commitment and pride. Take for example, the flying of the National Flag during the National Day Parade – a highlight that never fails to give me goose bumps – to see my country’s flag flying high while the national anthem is being sung.
“The Flag Must Fly”:
Although the flying of the flag lasts a mere few seconds, the men and women of The Republic of Singapore Air Force’s (RSAF) Squadron 127 (SQN127) do not take this responsibility lightly. This squadron is responsible for preparing the national flag from fold to flight. Recently, during an exclusive media preview, I had the privilege to interview some of the men involved in prepping the flag for the fly past. Their teamwork and unwavering commitment moved me as I witnessed firsthand how they go about their duty to fly high the flag of Singapore!
Watch our exclusive behind-the-scenes video highlight of the NDP2017 flag fly past:
Tribute to NS50:
One of the main arms of our defence is our National Service (NS). In conjunction with NDP 2017, the Parade and Ceremony (P&C) component will commemorate 50 years of National Service (NS50) with a special tribute to National Servicemen. We can look forward to never-before seen features in National Day Celebration 2017 which include:
• Having an Operationally-Ready National Service men (NSman) – Lieutenant Colonel (LTC)(NS) Lim Wee Tee command the entire parade as a tribute to NSmen in Singapore
• Largest feature of security and military assets (e.g. vehicles and machineries) in NDP history
• Five (yes, 5!) RSAF F15SG line-up doing the signature bomb burst aerial salute. 2 of the F15Sg are flown by NSmen pilots
• Largest military tattoo performance in NDP history with 170 performers from the Combined Band and Silent Precision Drill Squad
• Bagpipers from the Singapore Police Force (SPF) Women Police Pipes and Drums
Other Special Features of NDP2017:
• Return of the high intensity D3 segment after a 2-year hiatus. Here the most advanced weaponry and assets used to safeguard Singapore as well as the men and women who operate them.
• These security assets include UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) and customized vehicle specially commissioned to protect Singapore’s dense urban landscape. Showcase of Singapore’s whole-of-government and community approach in safeguarding Singapore from against terrorism and other security threats.
• 2000 participants from 31 marching contingents pay special tributes to NSmen and their families.
• The military tattoo will also be forming 6 fun and dynamic transformations including the Merlion and the Singapore Skyline among others.
Traditional NDP Favourites:
Traditional favourites which dazzle the crowd are not forgotten. Such as:
• State Flag Fly-past by the RSAF Chinook accompanied by two AH-64D Apache helicopters
• 21-gun Presidential salute
• The Feu-de-Joie
Join the celebration…even before National Day:
Singaporeans from all walks of life can join in the celebration even before 9th August 2017. Simply tag photos and well wishes, reflections or stories via NDP social media platforms such as Facebook (www.facebook.com/ndpeeps), Instagram (@ndpeeps_2017) and Twitter (@NDPeeps) with the following hashtags: #OneNationTogether, #NDP2017, #NDP17, #SG52.
For more info on NDP 2017, visit www.ndp.org.sg or download the official NDPeeps mobile app from Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
SPECIAL GIVEAWAY: WIN NDP TICKETS AND FUN PACKS!
In celebration of National Day 2017, we have 8 NDP Preview Tickets and 4 Funpacks to be given away to our loyal readers! Specifically, 2 winners will walk away with a family pack of 4 tickets each and the next 2 winners will walk away with 2 funpacks each!
To participate in the giveaway, simply follow these steps:
Complete the other mandatory steps in this online widget:
The giveaway ends Tuesday 4 July 2017, 11.59pm and is only open to readers residing in Singapore. The winner will be contacted using the email address provided when entering this draw and will have 72 hours to respond, failing which a new winner will be drawn.
All entries will be verified before the winner is announced, incomplete and unverified entries will be disqualified. Please note that all Facebook and Instagram accounts (e.g. accounts set up purely to take part in contests with no authentic posts or very few real friends) will be disqualified. All the best!