Weekends are precious. While we want to spend quality time with our kids, we also need to balance with time to catch up with our OWN friends…for self-care and sanity.
We’ve discovered a hidden ‘oasis’ in the middle of CBD that is perfect when occasions call for it. Spacious, cosy, good food, wide range of drinks (from our local Kopi-C to exquisite European craft beers) plus live bands performing live from 7:30pm nightly. Best of all, it’s ‘FAMILY DAY’ every Saturday with free children activities (think bouncy castle, electric cars, tricycles, play pen, ball pit etc.) from 12pm to 8pm where little ones can be let loose to have fun while we eat, drink and make merry. The central location, sense of space and family friendly environment make it a hidden gem for casual meet-ups and fellowship meetings.
Fiv五 Square is not your ordinary food court or a mere post-work watering hole. Five specially curated gourmet stalls are the anchor tenants in this food hall fit for 300. You can find Japanese curry rice and kaisendons from the Teppei SYOKUDO stall, Mexican tapas from CIN.QO, Korean Bulgogi from GOGIBOX, grilled meats & salads from OMNIVORE and cold-pressed fruit juice from HICJUICE. It runs on a fully automated self-service ordering and payment kiosk which will text you when your dish is ready (very techie!). Even though it’s situated right in CBD, prices are kept reasonable from S$4 to S$24.80 per dish. Our favorite stall here? GRUB NOODLE BAR, set up by the same folks behind Grub (at Bishan Park) and FIX (at HomeTeam NS-JOM Clubhouse).
Grub Noodle Bar dishes out hearty Asian-seasoned bowls of seriously good beef and miso pork noodles, among its delicious spread. The egg noodles are freshly made & contain no preservatives. The meatballs made from 100% beef chuck, no fillers or any additives.The beef broth is made by slow-cooking beef bones and vegetables & contains no MSG. Dana loves the broth so much she never fails to slurp every last drop!
Here are our recommendations of the ‘Must-Trys’ at Grub Noodle Bar:
- Pork Floss Fries (S$8): This was too delicious for words. Fried to cripsy golden texture then topped generously with your choice of toppings (pork floss, beef chilli or mentaiko mayo), it puts all other fries served at Fast Food Chains or even popular Western restaurants to shame!
2) Mantou Sliders (S$12): This creative, local take on ‘sliders’ took us by surprise. The deep fried mantou sliders come in 3 delectable fillings: crab-cake, Achas (asian pickles), prawn, cucumber salad stir-fried pork, fried onion were so yummy and filling! These sliders are great for sharing or pairing with a pint of ice-cold beer.
3) Mentaiko Drumlets (S$7.90) Cooked to a crispy golden-brown, drizzled over with the signature Mentaiko sauce and seaweed as garnish, these drumlets are so finger-licking good that you will be tempted to order a second helping. This is one of the favorite appetizers we order whenever we dine at Grub Noodle Bar!
4) Signature Beef Noodles (S$8.90-S$13.90): The beef slices are heavenly – they literally melt in your mouth. We love the springy ramen noodles and the rich, flavorful, no-MSG broth to bits. We were told each bowl features 100g of the best quality beef. Customers can choose either pasture-fed Brisket or Sirloin (premium cut, tender bite). I like the Sirloin beef as the texture is smoother.
5) Assam Laksa (S$10.90) – It’s hard to find a good bowl of Assam Laksa in Singapore but this received Penangnite David’s stamp of approval. A fine balance of sweet, sour and spicy all rolled into one dish, noodles served in a simmered fish gravy, with generous toppings of prawns, fresh cucumber and pineapple chunks. Truly satisfying, comfort food!
We ordered all these dishes which fed 3 Adults and 1 Child adequately and the bill came up to only slightly over SGD50. Super good grub at great value, given the air-conditioned comfort, the spacious, relaxed dining environment, ample parking options and the bonus kid-friendly amenities!
Grub Noodle Bar @ Fiv五 Square, Pickering Street
Address: FIVE Square (Stall 5), 1 Pickering Street, Great Eastern Centre, Singapore 048659
Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday, 10am to 9pm. Closed on Sundays
Disclaimer: This is not a food tasting invite. We redeemed this meal using the food voucher we had won from their Instagram Contest. You can win too! Simply snap a shot of your meal at GRUB Noodle Bar, upload onto Instagram with the hashtag #GrubNoodleBar. They choose 4 favourite shots a month to win a meal worth S$20, so go on, dine and tag away!
Thanks to our sponsor, we are rewarding two lucky readers with a SGD20 GRUB Noodle Bar Voucher each! To participate:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway ends on 25 October 2015, 11.59pm and is open to readers in Singapore. The winner will be contacted using the contact particulars provided when entering this draw and will have 24 hours to respond, failing which a new winner will be drawn. All incomplete and unverified entries will be disqualified. All entries will be verified before the winners are announced. To be fair to our sponsors, please note that all fake Facebook accounts (e.g. accounts set up purely to take part in contests with no or very few real friends) will be disqualified.