Music plays a big part in society and culture. Rightly so then, music plays a big part in our family whether it is being able to play and instrument or just singing our hearts out in the car. There’s nary a day go by without an activity involving music. Even our 22 month old son loves to groove to music. Our 8 y/o Dana has been expressing her interest in learning another instrument and deepen her interest in singing (She sings all the time!). But due to our work commitments and her own schedule, it was not quite possible.
Which was why when we were approached by Joy Music Studio to trial their Ukelele lesson and Accapella lessons during the March school holidays, we took it up as the timing was perfect (we were not travelling). I was even more thrilled when I knew they had parent-child classes which we could participate in!
So off we went to learn the Ukelele together. Our trials stretched across 2 days, each lesson lasted 3 hours. On the first day, we had Mr. Hafiz and on the 2nd day we had Mr. Justin. Both were very knowledgeable practicing musicians. They were very patient with us pure beginners but yet able to customize the lesson to our level so that we can start strumming to simple pop tunes after the class! Here’s more on what we like about learning Ukelele together:
1. Holistic approach to learning of the instrument: This includes caring for the instrument, general musicianship and also ways to remember the strings, tuning etc.… It is not just geared towards performing but to appreciate the instrument as a whole.
2. Encouraging Teachers: Both trainers were commendable. I have to say that it was not easy especially getting the fingers acquainted to pressing the strings and changing according to the chords. But both Teacher Hafiz and Justin were so patient and encouraging, focusing on what we did right and prodded us along. They even wrote the chords of songs we would like to play and taught us how to play them! What a bonus.
3. Special Parent-Child Classes: The fact that the studio allowed parents to learn together and trainers who are able to motivate both parent and child are a true bonus. I can’t believe that here I am, learning an instrument together with my 8 y/o! It was truly a special and invaluable moment!
As part of the holiday program, we were also invited to join their Accapella singing class. Dana was naturally very excited as she simply loves to sing.
We got the right tutor – Teacher Winnie who is a consummate music educator. She is friendly, approachable and skillful in teaching children with varying abilities to sing in tune and some even in parts! Amazing! Winnie is an accomplished singer who was able to demonstrate and role-model good singing to the kids. Dana attended two Accapella sessions and here’s what the children learnt in addition to the skills such as pitching and harmonizing:
1. Learning to wait and take turns: This is a valuable life skills, to wait for the right moment and to sing your part when the moment comes. Through waiting, children learn to listen to each others’ parts and harmony before joining in themselves.
2. Focus: In order to know when is your turn and to pitch well, the children would have to learn to focus especially when it’s not their turn yet.
3. Listening to each other: Yet another important life skills taught through this singing lesson. An important aspect of communication – listening to each other (and really listen!).
At the end of two sessions, Dana was harmonizing to her favourite tunes in the car and I was impressed. In fact, teacher Winnie taught her how to extend her interest through the use of a karaoke app where she can record her own voice and harmonise with other voices to create a unique Accapella song.
These are the unique traits of the music teacher at Joy Music Studio – they not only teach music for the rigour but more importantly, music is taught as a valuable life experience. I’ve always believed that, like languages, music is yet another form of human expression. Often times music, like art, allows us to explore the human dimensions deeper and express ourselves better. With their holistic outlook on music and their ability to teach well, Joy Music Studio is here to impart the love for music the way it should be – as a life skill.
Thank you Joy Music Studio for the enjoyable and unforgettable experience!
More about Joy Music Studio:
Joy Music Studio is a music school located at 1 Marine Parade Central (Parkway Centre building), an enrichment hub in the east of Singapore. The studio has about 6 instrument rooms and one dance room. We have a team of dedicated and passionate music teachers who are experienced, qualified and engaging in their music lessons.
Our Values & Teaching:
Where Music Brings Joy is our slogan, we believe to do precisely this when you learn with us. We believe that every student is unique, and our lessons are planned based on each student’s learning pace and objective. We believe in getting to know each student personally, from their interest in the genre of music they like, their personal interests and about their lives, because Music Touches Lives and we want their musical journey with us to be a joyful one.
For Beginners who do not know what instrument they like to learn, we provide a mix instruments music lesson, where the student can explore up to 4 different instruments in an introductory course, and then decide on which instrument to learn. For the Advanced learner, we are partners of ABRSM and RockSchool, offering their prestigious exam syllabus for higher learning.
Do visit our website to find out more: http://joymusicstudio.sg
JOY MUSIC STUDIO
1 Marine Parade Central #02-02 Parkway Centre, Singapore 449408
Contact Number: +65 6348 0628 or 92302778
Disclaimer: We were invited for two sessions of Ukelele and Acapella Music Classes during the March school holidays. No monetary compensation was received. All photos and opinions are, as usual, ours.