Ever since we visited BabyBoss in Taiwan 2 years ago, the entire family (yes we parents included) has been anamoured with this concept of ‘experiential’ learning through the role-play of realistic occupations.
So we couldn’t be happier when we heard the announcement that KidZania will be opening in Singapore in 2015 at Palawan Beach (right opposite Port of Lost Wonder)! Like KidZania KL which Dana enjoyed tremendously, KidZania Singapore will provide a kid-centric experience to educate and inspire kids from 4 to 14. For the uninitiated, KidZania operates just like a real city complete with buildings, paved streets, vehicles and a self-sufficient functioning economy.
|Location of KidZania on Palawan Beach, Sentosa|
I imagine kids role playing as pilots and air-crew on board an SIA (or Silkair) mock-up aircrafts, reading news as a broadcast journalists with MediaCorp, trying their hands as a dental surgeon with Q&M dental clinics, serving as police officers, paramedics, fire fighters with the SPF and SCDF, handling transactions as a supermarket cashier at NTUC Fairprice or Cold Storage, baking bread with Gardenia or frosting cakes at BreadTalk, making their own sushis with Sakei Sushi, delivering mails and parcels at SingPost, repairing the MRT track with SMRT and participating in many more educational activity stations sponsored by familiar local brands! In exchange for their hard-work, they earn KidZania’s currency “KidZos”, which they can then spend or save.
Some partners which have come on board KidZania Singapore as of April 2014 include:
|Artist impression of how KidZania Singapore will look like|
1. Discovery Networks Asia Pacific – Kids get the opportunity to be a filmmaker to create their own short films which they can bring home with them.
2. Yakult – Kids work in a scientific laboratory to make their own bottle of Yakult!
3. Canon – Kids role-play as a photographer with a studio, models and photography training.
4. The Soup Spoon – Kids learn how to cook a pot of yummy stew.
5. Killiney ‘Kopitiam – Kids learn to wait on tables, serve customers and make their own kaya toast.
6. MayBank – The ‘official’ bank of KidZania Singapore City. Kids will withdraw and bank in their KidZos here.
7. KFC – Kids get to be a KFC crew for a day!
8. Pizza Hut – Kids try their hands at making their own pizza.
9. The Learning Lab University – Kids acquire distinguished academic credentials (a.k.a degrees) to command higher salary at selected establishments.
10. LoomiFunz Painting School – Kids unleash their creativity on mural walls using paint that glows in the dark!
11. Nickelodeon Acting Academy and Theatre – Kids attend acting classes and role-play as their favourite Nickelodeon characters for an audience.
12. Spritzer Bottling Plant – Kids role play as engineers, learn how natural mineral water is made, and the processes that the water has to go through before it is bottled and dispatched.
13. WTS Travel – Kids can experience what it’s like to be a Tour Guide or purchase a ticket to be a tourist for a tour of KidZania Singapore.
14. PictureAir – the official photo printing services for visitors to purchase in the form of photographs, stamps and even key chains.
We just can’t wait till KidZania Singapore’s official opening. No more travelling to KL or Bangkok when we can spend a fun day in KidZania right here on our sunny island! I’m sure they will have birthday party packages too, stay tuned!