Indoor rock gyms have sprouted in different parts of Singapore, making it an affordable and easily accessible form of exercise and recreation. Without a doubt, rock climbing is one of the best total body workouts available and a unique sport where boys and girls are equally capable.
Here are a few reasons rock climbing is a good sport for kids (as young as 4 years and up):
1. Kids can challenge themselves and overcome their fears in a safe environment.
2. Rock climbing can be a surprisingly good ego boost which does wonders for kids’ self-esteem and confidence.
3. Rock climbing is tiring! It is a great way of getting your kids to burn some excess energy!
4. Indoor rock gyms provide a refreshing change of pace from the ordinary.
5. It instills focus, balance, endurance, determination and a whole host of valuable life skills.
6. Rock climbing boosts brain functions. The movement in climbing up a route often demands body awareness and problem-solving skills, developing focus and attention.
7. Time spent rock climbing instead of being glued to electronic gadgets is time well-spent!
We were invited to a Fun Climb at The Rock School last Sunday evening and it’s an invitation we couldn’t resist because Dana fell in love with rock climbing there in Dec last year. This time round, she challenged herself to scale the tallest and most difficult rock wall (the Red wall). The kids started with a few practice rounds on the indoor boulder to warm up their muscles before proceeding to the 3 storey-high rock walls outside.
After a short safety briefing, the kids were harnessed up and assigned to different coloured rock walls to start their climb (Yellow for Basic, Blue for Intermediate and Red for Advanced). After each climb, they would be entitled to paste a sticker onto their progress chart and this seems to motivate all of them to keep going. Towards the end of the 2 hour Fun Climb session, the kids were visibly tired from their vertical workouts but they never gave up. At most, they rested before they pressed on towards the peak. That is the spirit which rock climbing nurtures in kids and that is what makes my heart swell each time I see Dana rock climb.
Dana: “I didn’t give up despite my hands feeling like Jelly, Mommy….”
For their hard work, the kids were presented with a certificate each, applauded by all the trainers and parents present. If your children have not rock climbed and would like to try the sport, a good place to start is The Rock School where there is a team of very experienced trained instructors who will supervise and guide the kids (I must add that they are also very good and patient with kids). The Rock School also runs holiday camps and various training programmes, which is a good way for parents as well as kids to learn safety and techniques, and bond over this excellent sport of rock climbing. They are also hosting The Rock Challenge & Carnival next weekend (22-23 Nov 2014). Do drop by to join in the fun!
Please pop over to this post to read Dana’s 1st experience with The Rock School.
Find out more about The Rock Carnival 2014 here
THE ROCK SCHOOL
Sunday: Varies (Please refer to Timetable)
The Rock School is located at Bedok Community Centre
Address: 850 New Upper Changi Rd, Singapore 467352.
Contact Number: 6242 2106