Happy Birthday Skyline Luge Sentosa!
Skyline Luge Sentosa celebrates their 10th year in Singapore and throwing a party packed with games and other value-added experiences for everyone! But first, here’s sharing our experience with the Skyline Luge where for us, once is definitely not enough.
How we got ‘hooked’ on the Luge:
My daughter Dana was just shy of 3 years old when we first discovered the Skyline Luge. We had joined my wife, Angie who was in Sentosa on a company retreat. While she was stuck in a conference room, I ventured out with Dana, whom I was still pushing around in a stroller. It was then that we chanced upon the Skyline Luge, tucked away in a little corner not far from Sentosa’s Beach Station.
I was keen then to try but was prepared to be turned away, especially with a 3 y/o in tow. Imagine my joy when the staff said young kids could ride in tandem with parents! Intrigued, I tried, with Dana seated right between my thighs and the rest, as they say, is history. We’ve been back to the Luge many times since. She is now 7 and has been driving the Luge on her own since she turned 5. Read how Dana’s first solo Skyline Luge Adventure turned out.
The Luge and us…from when she was 3 years old till now. A great place for fun and family bonding.
Yes, the Skyline Luge is one of those rare experiences that is truly fun for the whole family! It is absolutely safe, thrilling and best of all, you’re in absolute control of the whole ride: how fast or slow, how tight the turns etc… You’re in charge. Best of all, the Luge comes with the Skyride experience – a Alpine ski ride of sorts over the canopy of Sentosa’s lush natural forests with a stunning view of the horizon. Unforgettable, especially during sunset!
What is the Luge? The Skyride – a scenic preview to the Luge experience. It’s as close as we can get here to an Alpine ski lift experience.
1) The Luge is a non-motorized 3-wheeled vehicle that relies on gravity (of the slope) to zoom downwards. It has a low CG (center of gravity) and the rider’s weight actually holds it down. Therefore, it is completely stable and safe – no risks of flipping over.
2) The driver slows or speeds up according to how much they release the steering. To be fast, release gently. To slow down or stop, pull the steering back or just release it gently and it will come to a complete stop! You can go on moderate speed by gently keeping the release to a moderate level. You’re in complete control!
3) The steering is as basic as you can get, absolutely manual and responsive to the rider. The steering controls the release of the speed so you can slow down while gently making a turn – just one point of control.
That’s all! No gears. No switches. Just you and your appetite for fun!
Safety is the main priority here. Given that it boasts of a 30+ year history from humble beginnings in New Zealand, the staff here takes safety seriously, right down to the T.
Is it Safe for kids?
Absolutely! Here are the guidelines taken from the Skyline Luge Sentosa’s website:
Luge: Children must be 6 years old and 110cm tall to ride the Luge alone.( Dave’s note: Even if over 110 cm, the child must also be strong enough to handle the steering and braking system.)
Children under the age of 6 years old (minimum 85cm to below 110cm) can ride the Luge in tandem, with an adult by purchasing the child doubling ticket – a cost of S$3 per ride.
Skyride: Children must be at least 135cm in height to be able to ride on the Skyride alone.
Children must be at least 85cm in height to be able to ride on the Skyride with an adult
Pregnant ladies:Due to safety reason, pregnant woman are unable to ride the Skyride or Luge.
Before you Ride:
1) Entry Level: Depending on where you start – if you are taking from the ride from the Beach Station entrance (recommended), you will start with the Skyride experience going up to the Imbiah Lookout point to take the Luge. If you begin from the Imbiah Lookout point, then you probably would Luge down first – very rarely do people take the Skyride down.
2) Helmets On! Before your first ride, you would join the ‘First Timers’ queue to choose a helmet that best fits. There are 5 colours according to the 5 sizes starting from ‘XS’ to ‘XL’ – yes, 5 sizes. Take time to pick one which fits you well. The staff will not let you ride if your helmet is not well fitted. They can assist with the fitting too.
3) Steer and Check your Brakes: Ok, now you’re sitting IN the Luge. Before you launch off, the staff there will guide you through a simple but important process of checking your steering works well and teaching you how to release and get going and, most importantly, how you slow down to a stop. It’s simple and takes less than a minute.
4) Gravity takes over: Once you gently release the steering and brakes, gravity takes over. How fast you want to go depends on you now. We recommend taking the 620m Jungle Trail first. It is less windy (lesser corners) – but it means there is potential to go faster on this trail.
5) Bottoms’ Up: Once you reach the bottom, stop your Luge and follow staffs’ instructions. If you are going for another ride, take the Skyride lift up again and this time, try a different route (The Dragon Trail versus The Jungle Trail). For 2nd timers, you have your helmet now with you and can join the ‘express’ queue at the Imbiah Lookout entrance.
We’re on all time high …at the Skyline Luge Sentosa!
Dave’s Tips to maximize your visit to the Luge:
1) Head for the Beach: Head towards Beach Station or park there if you are driving. Beach Station has more parking lots. The other entrance is at Imbiah Lookout but that requires some walking to the car park. Imbiah Lookout would be good if you are also visiting Madame Tussaud’s.
2) Lift Up, Luge Down: The Luge rides on a downward slope so, we prefer taking the Skyride up and Luge down.
3) Go early…and stay till late: This is an outdoor activity. Beat the crowds by being there at 10am when they open. The queue is much shorter and you can take multiple quick rides within 30 mins with virtually no queue or short queues even on weekends. Typically, the queue starts to ‘grow’ around 1130am. You may want to stay till the evening to take the remaining rides in the night for a totally different experience. The sunset views on the Skyride is stunning and the Luge trails take on a different life at night! It is also much cooler to ride at night. The ride closes at 9:30pm.
4) Slap on Suntan and bring the Sunnies: Yes…part of the fun is the sun. While it provides you clear vision of everything and provides great photo opportunities, protection is essential. On this note, the ride will stop in the event of rain or lighting.
5) Lock it up: If you bring valuables, there are good-size lockers there for rental at both entrances of the Luge.
6) No Selfies Please: Once you get the hang of it, you’d be tempted to stop midway to take photos or selfies. That is a serious No-No and can be dangerous for yourself and other riders. Family and friends can stand at the Beach Station entrance/exit to take photos of you and your family. Alternatively, you can purchase one of the souvenir photos taken.
To mark the Luge’s 10th birthday, they are hosting a 10-tastic carnival from 21 to 30 August 2015, packed with exciting activities such as games, caricature and balloon-sculpting stalls, magic performances as well as popcorn and exclusive Luge 10th Anniversary sticker tattoo giveaways, for guests. Join us between 2pm and 6pm on weekdays and 10.30am to 2.30pm on weekends.
Carnival Fun at the Luge’s birthday bash!
Over the 10 days , the Luge is rolling out special deals* at different timings throughout each day:
• All day: 50% off Luge rider license membership at $25 for individuals (UP S$50) and $60 for families of four (UP S$120)
• 10am to 10.30am: Free photo with every purchase of five Luge & Skyride combo (UP S$53)
• 12pm to 12.30pm: $10 off each ‘Ten-ride Family Pass’ (UP S$79)
• 2pm to 2.30pm: $10 for single photo purchase (UP S$15)
• 4pm to 4.30pm: $10 for two Luge & Skyride combo upgrade+
In addition, we are offering a free Luge & Skyride combo and a special Luge pop-up birthday card on 26 August 2015 to anyone who shares the same birthday with Skyline Luge Sentosa!
*Terms & conditions apply. Specials deals cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions.
+Upgrade refers to purchase of additional tickets on same day.
Our First-Person-Views (FPVs)
Here’s sharing our FPV videos from our ‘Once is Never Enough’ experiences! Day or night! Read our notes in the video for more info.
Stunning Bird’s eye view from the Skyride:
Luge Ride – Jungle Trail (Day):
Luge Ride – Dragon Trail (Day):
Luge Ride – Jungle Trail (Night): Check out the colours on the trail!
Luge Ride- Dragon Trail (Night): Love the turns at night!
Opens 10am till 9.30pm daily all year.
Happy 10-tastic Birthday Luge…and cheers to many more!