This was turning out to be quite an ‘exceptional’ trip – our daughter, Dana started the trip ill. During breakfast on our first morning in Bangkok, she was too weak to join us for breakfast. But she needed some food with the medication, so while the wife stayed with her in the room, I went down to ask if the buffet restaurant could prepare congee for her. I approached a staff in the Espresso Restaurant and vividly remembered stating my request with “ My daughter is ill and I was wondering if the chef could cook a congee dish….” before I could even finish my request, the staff had replied me, “Certainly Sir, and I would recommend Fish porridge which can be sent up to your room complete with cutlery for your child.” I was stumped. But, that’s not all.
During breakfast, I saw that they were serving fresh Thai coconuts (yes, the only buffet I know that serves whole fresh sweet coconuts on the buffet spread. Free flow!). This time, I approached the manager to ask if they can send a fresh coconut to the room to cool Dana’s fever. Later we checked, the coconuts arrived – they sent two, complete with straws and napkins – on the house.
We are discerning family travellers, used to the standards of a 5- star hotel chain but never have we experienced service that is so proactive. One that thinks ahead to anticipate their guests’ needs and live to surpass the high standards that their hotel name commands.
This is the InterContinental Bangkok.
Believe it or not, before this trip, our last visit to Bangkok was 10 years ago. Believe it or not, 10 years ago, the hotel we stayed in while we were vacationing as a young married couple? Yes, The InterContinental Bangkok, before its massive renovation.
Now, 10 years later and with 2 young kids, I felt as if we have come full circle. One step into the luxurious hotel limousine which picked us up at the airport, had me fondly remember the warm and personable service we received back then. The waif of the full leather seats in the immaculately cleaned limousine interior complemented by the sincere smiles of our hotel driver made us feel as if we were old friends.
Arriving at the hotel entrance after about an hour’s drive from the airport, we were right thick in the heart of the bustling city that is Bangkok. Despite the hustle and bustle around, our attention was drawn to the warm reception given by the bell hops and the receptionists. We felt an instant connection coming back to the InterContinental Bangkok.
The InterContinental Bangkok is a popular upmarket hotel that is situated right in the heart of Bangkok itself. Despite its popularity and premium location, the staff there endeavour to treat all their guests like friends.
From the hotel rooms to the banquet rooms, from the Club Lounge to the Lobby, warm natural smiles greeted us everywhere we went. There is a sense of servitude that is par excellence. Apart from the exceptional service I narrated above, here are other reasons why we think the InterContinental Bangkok is an oasis of a hotel for families visiting Bangkok:
1. Exceptional Convenience: Direct access to the main Chit Lom BTS SkyTrain Station. From there, you can virtually go anywhere in Bangkok. For families travelling with young kids, it is essential that transport is near so that once we are done with the shopping and sightseeing for the day, we can return to the hotel with minimal hassle. Its central location means also that it is easier to get cabs to and fro, to places not frequented by the BTS (if we want to) without being stuck in the infamous traffic jams.
2. Central Shopping District: The Chitlom area is in itself synonymous with Bangkok shopping. InterContinental’s location on Ratchadamri Junction is ideal for accessing many of Bangkok’s best shopping malls. In less than 10 minutes, guests can take the overhead skywalk to the following malls: CentralWorld, Siam Paragon, Siam Centre, Central Embassy, Amarin Plaza, Erawan. There is even a direct access to the high end Gaysorn Shopping Mall. If you stay at the InterContinental Bangkok, you’ll have no lack of shopping, dining and entertainment options. It’s the perfect location to base yourself for a short Bangkok getaway.
3. Excellent Rooms and Facilities: This is the InterContinental. The well-appointed rooms are of international 5-star standards both in furnishing and cleanliness, the latter being quite a necessity for families travelling with young children. The huge rooms and suites, all come with floor to ceiling windows offering unblocked city views. We opted for interconnecting rooms so that the kids can sleep comfortably on their own beds while Mummy and Daddy enjoy the privacy and use of our own room amenities.
The hotel’s rooftop swimming pool located on Level 37 offers the perfect escape for families after a long day of exploring Bangkok. Guests can also enjoy free yoga, aerobics, and Thai boxing classes at the hotel’s 24-hour fitness centre, which features floor-to-ceiling windows that offer panoramic views of Bangkok.
4. The Buffet Breakfast: I was virtually stunned. This is one of the few hotels we’ve have experienced that has the widest range of items available for Breakfast. From freshly cooked noodles to poached eggs, from delectable pastries to congee, this hotel breakfast has it all. It’s too much to describe so I’d let my photos and video ‘bring you there’.
5. The InterContinental Club Lounge – Guests staying in executive guestrooms and suites can enjoy additional luxuries, including butler services, express check-in and check-out, as well as free breakfast, cocktails and canapés at the InterContinental Club Lounge. This is one of the biggest and most exclusive Club Lounges we have seen. Decked in a mix of opulent Thai silk and contemporary chic furnishings, the Lounge offers business facilities, reading section and a sprawling space for dining. It also serves an exquisite range of breakfast and high-tea menu including delicious Japanese Bento sets. Situated at the highest floor of the hotel, one can dine and chat in privacy and comfort while overlooking the stunning view of the Bangkok skyline.
6. Summer Palace: We decided to feature this on its own. This is one exceptional Cantonese restaurant serving one of the best Dim Sum meals we have ever tasted. EVER. The ingredients are market fresh, seafood succulent and the flavours, especially those cooked in broth , simple bursting with deep flavours reminiscent of home cooked dishes that have been patiently stewed over time. We love a good Dim Sum meal and were pleasant surprised to find such exceptional ones right here in Bangkok. Turns out the award-winning Chef Khor also incidentally hails from Penang (my hometown)! We not only enjoyed fine Chinese cuisine but had excellent company as well. At this point, I should just let my photos do the ‘talking’.
If you would like to try other cuisines, InterContinental Bangkok houses six excellent restaurants that serve tantalizing local and international delicacies, including a classy Italian restobar, a steakhouse and an all-day dining venue. Plus, there are plenty more restaurants in the shopping arcade connected to the hotel.
Our stay at the InterContinental Bangkok turned out to be exceptional every sense of the word. I do hope that it won’t be another 10 years before we experience this hotel again.
INTERCONTINENTAL Bangkok Hotel
973 Phloen Chit road, Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330 Thailand
Telephone Number: +66 2 656 0444
Check Special Offers hereDisclaimer: We were invited for a two nights’ stay at the Hotel InterContinental Bangkok for the purposes of this review. No monetary compensation was received. All opinions and photos are as usual ours and we would return to this oasis in a heartbeat.