I can’t believe it. Here I am, inside this spacious 7-seater Touran that boasts of an amazing torque, powered by a 1.4 litre, 1,395cc engine! Complete with a comprehensive array of safety features to boot! Here’s my experience.
For many of us, the car is where we spend a significant amount of our time shuttling back and forth from home to school and work on weekdays and for errands and activities on weekends. Which is why for families, a safe, reliable and efficient car is important. As the kids grow older (and bigger), I realize that I need to add another factor when looking for the ideal family car – space. Yes, space is essential. These days, it’s quite common for Singapore families to be out and about all day. Having that extra space to carry people and things around, that flexibility to transform the car interior into extra space is a luxury that is slowly becoming a necessity.
But finding the right vehicle that is spacious, safe, reliable, efficient and comfortable can be quite a feat. Most MPVs out there have large engine capacity (2.0cc and above) that would be costly to maintain or too big to maneuver, especially in tight multi-storey car parks in Singapore. Some trade spaciousness for comfort, making the family car feel like a commercial van. Recently, we had the chance to review the new 2016 Volkswagen Touran. Though its an MPV that sits 7, it’s a game-changer that fits the bill for an all-rounded family car in Singapore.
Car? Yes, despite the fact that it is probably labeled as a MPV – Multi-Purpose Vehicle, it surprisingly drives like a sedan. The steering is light, sensitive and the height of the Touran lifts the driver and passengers’ view up a few notches, giving the driver better visual coverage of the roads without over steering. In fact, the turning ratio is quite the same as my VW Jetta sedan! Amazing!
I list 6 super features that make the Touran the perfect family car:
1. Safety: Safety is paramount when we travel as a family. In this regard, the Touran is among the safest vehicles in the world with a full Euro NCAP 5-star rating. Here are highlights of its safety features:
– 7 Airbags including knee airbag for the driver
– 3-point belt for every passenger.
– Front Assist: The car stops automatically when it senses the possibility of a collision with an object or person when travelling above 30 km/h
– Side Assist: These are a god-sent especially in dense driving environment like Singapore’s. The lights, situated at the side of the wing-mirrors will blink when an object is detected in the driver’s blind spot, alerting the driver.
– ISO Fix Child Seat mounting points. These enable parents to fix baby / child seats that meets the European safety standards onto the car easily. Maximum safety for the little one easily!
– High-performance LED headlights with a dynamic cornering function and LED daytime running function.
2. Space: The new Touran is 113mm larger than its predecessors. With the added space, there is greater comfort, especially for the last row passengers. We were amazed how spacious the new Touran is.
We can configure the rear seats in anyway that suits our lifestyle! Put all 7 seats up when there’s a need to ferry more people for that all important family event or put just 5 up and leave a spacious rear section as a boot for daily needs. Put all rear seats down and see how spacious this vehicle is especially when needing to carry large bulky items like furniture, bicycles etc. On that note, I find this car perfectly suited for our modern ‘online’ lifestyle where we often trade items online (e.g. on Carousell). With the Touran, your car can transport virtually anything without the need to incur additional delivery costs to engage a mover. The spaciousness also means that there are ample storage space in the car. In fact, there are 47 compartments! Imagine that!
3. Strength: Despite its spaciousness, THIS is the one thing that sets the Touran apart – it’s 1.4cc TSI engine that comes complete with the DSG 7-speed DSG gearbox that delivers an powerful 150 PS and 250 Nm of torque, delivering a strong performance (0-100 km/h in only 8.9 seconds). This basically means that the smaller cc can still ferry the entire family around and support an active family lifestyle without compromising on its efficiency and power.
4. Savings: This is another big consideration for families when buying a car. The 1.4 litre TSI engine coupled with the 7-speed DSG gearbox supports our daily lifestyle with an amazing efficiency of only 5.6 L/100km of fuel in the combined driving cycle. The Touran is also fitted as standard with automatic engine stop/start and battery regeneration systems. The automatic engine start/stop feature turns off the engine when the car comes to a standstill. This minimizes fuel consumption and is able to restart almost instantaneously when moving off. Imagine, getting everyone in and around town doing almost everything and maximizing your fuel. Savings are always good for families!
5. Style and ‘Savviness’: True to its continental origins, the Touran maintains a high standard of comfort and ‘savviness’ to meet the demands of the modern family. The Touran Comfortline series comes complete with an interactive media panel that integrates your smartphone and media needs (e.g. Apple’s CarPlay) all into one convenient console. Yes, activate SIRI, have your SMS read to you, answer phone calls totally hands free through the media console. The media console also plays music from either the conventional audio from CDs or MP3s from SD card or direct from your favourite playlist on your smartphone. No one needs to miss the convenience of home while on the move!
Keyless…and worriless! The additional equipment package (EQP) that comes with the Touran Comfortline range brings a host of exciting features. Among them is the keyless entry and staring, which we have come to appreciate. Imagine being able to open and close the car doors and boot with single touch while both hands are full with groceries! Imagine not having to worry where your car keys are by having them in the pocket / bag all the time as you dart in and out sending the kids. Indispensable I would say! Plus the plush seats are in covered in leather upholstery providing comfort with that touch of class. The exterior design evokes cutting-edge modernity complete with its LED headlights that replaces the xenon system from previous models.
This Touran is a truly a head-turner!
6. Sunroof: This is the kids’ favourite! Large panoramic sunroof that is larger then the previous models. It gives everyone in the family a unique talking point and fun travel experience being able to see a different vantage whether day or night. Aside from that, we find the large sunroof excellent for ventilation, especially on cool evenings when there’s no need to turn on the air conditioning while still being able to enjoy fresh, naturally cooled circulated air.
To cool the entire cabin effectively with clean pure air, the air-conditioning of the new Touran uses a new three-zone Pure Air Climatronic system that includes a new filtering technology where an air quality sensor with an active biogenic filter maintains air quality at a consistently high level. This prevents the infiltration of pollutants, including fungal spores and allergens. Perfect for a dense urban environment like Singapore’s. This is a never-before-seen technology pioneered by Volkswagen.
The new Touran is an amazing vehicle by Volkswagen. Taking the whole family places, meeting families’ modern needs while maintaining its high safety and efficiency standards. Simply put, it sets the bar for all family vehicles. Test drive one and I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it as much as we did! To find out more details about the amazing Touran and to arrange for a test drive, go to: http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/en.html