This is like nothing we’ve seen before. Really.
As a family who loves watching musicals, concerts and live performances, we’ve seen many a thing on stage – raining on stage, ‘cats’ on stage and even the odd lion prancing across the African Savannah but never this – three blue men, not talking but playing on odd instruments, gyrating, gestulating and interacting with the audience just with pure body language, facial expressions and …those eyes…
Welcome to the World Tour Premiere of The Blue Man Group – a multi-award winning worldwide phenomenon that started 25 years ago. Yes, they have finally landed. What’s better is that they have chosen Singapore to launch their World Tour! How privileged we are to be able to see them before the rest of the world does!
What are they?
They are a 3-man mime act that switches between comedy, theatre, percussion group, rock concert and dance party all rolled into one stupendous unstoppable highly entertaining performance! No wonder this multiple award winning group packs crowds at Las Vegas and Broadway!
What to expect?
In short, expect the unexpected and…be prepared to be wowed!
The show starts even before it officially starts – ya, they are kind of cheeky and quirky this way. Scrolling text messages interacts and act as a pre-show warm up routine that, on its own, got us laughing, relaxed and ready for the Blue Man to appear.
Right from the start it was pure energy and entertainment all the way. One minute, they are playing tunes on PVC pipes, another minute they are delivering poly-rhythms on a huge PVC xylophone. Another minute, they are ‘dining’ with an audience member, next minute they are splashing paint all over another. Whatever they are up to, the audience just lapped it all up. Laughing, clapping along. Yes, despite the entire show having no conversation, this is one amazingly entertaining performance!
Complimenting the show are the visually stunning lightings and a live band dekced in UV paint with aboriginal designs. The lighting is so advanced, it could perfectly colour the PVC pipes precisely! The strobes and spot lights synchronized perfectly to bring out the excitement and exhilaration from each act. I particularly love the live band music and it’s always to hear music played live – to me, that differentiates the performance and the band literally swept the crowd off their feet with their well-timed entry accompanying the Blue Man Group.
Why watch Blue Man?
In case you need more convincing, here are 3 reasons the Blue Man Group should not be missed:
1) No talk….just pure entertainment: There’s virtually no conversation nor any verbal sound from any of the Blue men. This is what makes it appealing – language is no barrier here and this is revolutionary in itself that the body language, humor and music itself carries the show. This makes the show perfect for all age groups regardless of what language you speak!
2) Highly interactive: Again, an amazing feat without so much as a word being uttered. The engaging talent and comedic timing of the Blue Men was just mind blowing! There’s a lot of precision happening amidst all that ROTFL antics. Not only do they perform, they occasionally go among the audience either as a prelude to an act or just to interact….and that’s special.
3) You, me, every body: For me, the best part of the show is the fact that we see ourselves in the Blue Men. The show plays on our own quirkiness and idiosyncrasies like taking of selfies, playing with apps on tablets (a sensational act and our fave one!). In fact, for me, the entire show is about us being humans – that beyond skin colour and language , we are all the same. How we respond to music, laughter, the human condition an d, of course at the end, we all like to party, dance and have good times!
The Blue Man Group is a show for all ages and is probably the most unique show on earth and certainly the most unique to grace the stage at MBS. Catch their world premier here before the rest of the world does! See for yourself some of their iconic acts as well as some new ones created specially for the Singapore audience!
Take a sneak peek with us:
Here are some pointers for you to enjoy the show:
1) No interval – yes, its about 1 hour 45 minute of pure world-class unstoppable and unforgettable experience. Do visit the conveniences before the show begins.
2) Strobes – strobe lights are used quite often in almost every act. For those affected by strobe light, you may wish to take note.
3) Music, live and loud – Music is performed live from the band. As it drives the energy of the act, the music performed can be loud so please leave your infants at home.
4) Participate –clap along, dance along, party on! Be spontaneous and let your hair down.
5) Be punctual – Though this is the general policy. For this show the ushers reminded us all specifically. Besides, you won’t want to face being given a ‘grand entrance’ by the Blue Man Group upon your late arrival (hint!)
The Blue Man show is not to be missed because there’s nothing on earth that comes close. It’s taken them 25 years to reach our shores and I certainly hope it won’t take them another 25 to come back. Meanwhile, catch them before they continue with their World Premiere Tour, otherwise you’ll be the who’ll be, well, blue.
BLUE MAN GROUP
Tue, 29 March to Sun, 24 April 2016
Tue – Fri: 8pm
Sat (2 & 9 Apr): 2pm & 8pm
Sat (16 & 23 Apr): 2pm, 5pm & 8pm
Sun: 1pm & 6.30pm
Sun (17 Apr): 1pm
Sun (24 Apr): 1pm, 4pm & 7pm
Venue: Sands Theatre, MasterCard Theatres at Marina Bay Sands
Ticket Pricing (Excludes Booking Fee):
VIP Reserve : S$155
A Reserve : S$135
B Reserve : S$120
C Reserve : S$90
Purchase your tickets from Sistic.