The good folks at Resorts World Singapore (RWS) and Universal Studios Singapore (USS) are pulling out all stops to give families a truly spectacular Christmas with lots of ‘snow’ thrown in!
From now till 4 January 2015, in addition to experiencing the magic of the movies at USS, the whole family can soak in the magical Christmas atmosphere with their favorite characters in LIVE Christmas shows, Parades and an awe-inspiring fireworks show nightly.
To enhance the magic, step into the fantasy world of Neverland at the beautiful RWS Theatre to experience a live visual feast with JM Barrie’s classic tale, ‘Peter Pan’ – centered around the boy who never grows old along with his new-found friends, Wendy and her siblings, as they battle the meanest pirate in fairy tales – Captain Hook. Watch as the cast fly and perform acrobatic moves while they sing, act and dance right before your eyes. You may even find yourself tapping or swaying to the many popular tunes incorporated into the musical.
Now, I did say they are pulling out all the stops didn’t I? The possibilities are truly endless with USS! Best of all, there are lots of opportunities for the family to capture magical memories!
Here’s how we maximized our family day out at USS…along with some essential survival tips!
Pre-trip Preparation The Day Before
• We got the tickets early.
• Snacks and drinking water are essential for theme parks especially in our humid weather.
• Don’t forget sunblock and ponchos!
• As we were going on a weekend, we opted for the Universal Express Pass to maximize our time there. That REALLY helped as waiting time at some popular attractions in USS can be 50 minutes long!
• The stroller served dual functions now – to transport our ‘barang barang’ as well as to move the daughter around the crowds swiftly from ride to ride.
• Since we were out at USS for 12 hours total (from 9.30am to 9.30pm), the daughter was able to conserve her energy in the stroller – a life-saver!
• Arrived early and find a car park nearest to the USS escalator. RWS parking is huge, you wouldn’t want to tread through endless rows of cars after a long day afterwards!
• Joined the queue and waited for doors to be opened.
• While waiting, we got the park map and show times and started prioritizing / planning our route. Singaporeanlah!
• Arrive early to be at the front of the queue so you can experience some of the choice rides first.
10am to 11.15am
The doors open! Made a dash for our first few rides.
Rides we took:
• Transformers Ride
• Canopy Flyer (Mommy’s fav ride so we tried twice!)
• Dino Soarin’
• Jurassic Park Rapids (you may get slightly wet from this ride).
• After these few rides, we swiftly made our way deep into USS. Like most theme parks, the bigger (and more exciting) rides are usually deeper inside.
• For all these rides, we were early enough not to use our Universal Express Pass yet! Save the pass to experience these rides again later! (Express Pass can be used once per ride).
11.15am Rides and attraction experienced:
• Treasure Hunters
• Revenge of Mummy – only Daddy. Daughter did not meet height restrictions.
• By now, most of the popular rides have long queues. Even the children’s ride ‘Treasure Hunter’ had a waiting time of 50 minutes! From here on, we had to use our Express Pass.
12pm to 1pm Rides and attraction experienced:
• Sesame Street Saves Christmas show (20 mins)
• Dance of the Magic Beans Show (12.40pm)
• Most shows require you to be there 10 minutes early to be seated.
1.10pm to 2.20pm Rides and attraction experienced:
• Sesame Street Stage show
• Crate Adventure Ride
1.30pm to 2.30pm
• Headed out to RWS for lunch @ Malaysian Food Street (We chose an air-con venue to escape the noon heat).
• Remember to retain your tickets for Return Admission although they will also give you a re-entry stamp on your arm.
2.30pm to 5pm
After lunch, we made our way to RWS Theatre which was just a stone’s throw away to watch the Peter Pan show.
• Being in an air-con theatre in the heat of the day really helped! We were there at 2.30pm to cool down while waiting for the show to start.
• The show started at 3pm and lasted till 5.30pm with a 20 minutes intermission.
5.30pm to 7pm Rides and attraction experienced:
• Back to USS for more rides but it started raining! We used the Universal Express Pass to go on our favourite indoor rides again to wait out the rain.
• Steven Spielberg’s Light-Camera-Action
• Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase
• King Julien Beach Party-Go-Round
• Transformers (again!)
• Photo Ops with roving Sesame Street characters.
7pm to 7.30pm Attraction experienced:
• Winter Tales Show
• Toy Soldier Show
• Photo Op with Toy Soldiers.
• Be at the New York stage area early to get your best spot for the evening parade and Toy Soldier show. The Toy Soldiers will move through the ‘New York streets’ and head to the stage. Be at the stage area for best view.
• It started to drizzle again when the shows were going on. Fortunately most parts of New York St is sheltered.
• Rain stopped by 7.30pm fortunately.
• Snowfall at ‘New York’ and ‘Hollywood’ corners every hour.
For a sneak preview of the fireworks, visit our Instagram post.
7.45pm to 8.45pm
• We headed out to RWS for dinner at Ramen Play as the restaurants within USS were crowded.
8.45pm to 9.30pm
• Ended dinner, walked back to USS to wait for fireworks.
• Fireworks is at the Lagoon area (at the end of Hollywood street). Be there early to get choice spots. Crowd (from the entire USS) started building up around 9pm.
9.30pm to 9.45pm
• Enjoyed the fireworks show up close and spectacular!
Singapore’s Biggest Snowy Christmas Celebration @ Universal Studios SG
1 December 2014 to 4 January 2015
Admission Tickets: Adults S$84, Children S$64; Senior Citizens S$46. For purchases of minimum 2 Adults Day Passes, book online and enjoy the discounted price of S$71 each! Tickets are inclusive of a Christmas set meal voucher with extended park hours till 9pm.
If you would like to visit the park in the evenings, you can purchase the Christmas Event Tickets for one time visit from 5pm to 9pm (from now till 4 Jan 2015) at S$50 each.
Book your USS tickets online to skip the queues.
Peter Pan – The Never Ending Story
27 November 2014 to 20 January 2015
Tickets priced from S$58 and above are available on Sistic website.
Show Dates: Thu, 27 Nov 2014-Tue, 20 Jan 2015
Show Times: Mon, Tue, Thu & Fri: 8pm; Sat & Sun: 3pm & 8pm
Venue: Resorts World™ Theatre, Resorts World Sentosa
That sums up our fun-filled, action-packed, pre-Christmas celebrations at Universal Studios Singapore and RWS Theatre. Feel free to customize the schedule when you next visit USS!