A Review and FAQ
Honestly, it didn’t quite strike me until I saw the waters from the HSBC Rain Vortex – the centrepiece of Jewel Changi Airport, came to a complete stop with nary a drop of water funnelling down. Yes, it’s near midnight and we are here, camping overnight at Jewel, Changi Airport. So surreal and magical that we felt compelled to do a blog review to share with you.
A ‘Staycation’ with a Difference:
To say that it was unforgettable is really an understatement. Experiences like these do not come by often.
Getting to come up close to the equipments, vehicles and personnel from the Airport Emergency Services was like a dream come true for many kids especially Buddy. While we were thrilled to have the rare chance to see and feel some of these specialised equipment used, it was talking to the officers and getting to know how they are ever ready to protect Changi Airport in airport emergencies that left an indelible impression in our minds.
A Magical Sleepover:
Make no mistake that this experience is unlike a traditional hotel stay nor a ‘Glamping’ trip. But we do enjoy creature comforts of an air-conditioned and comfortable indoor sleeping venue plus the use of spanking clean bathrooms within Jewel Changi Airport. All campers were also provided with clean and sanitised tents along with foldable cushions to use for sleeping. There’s no need to stress over the packing and lugging of heavy camping equipment for this at all!
In fact, after a fun day exploring the Changi Airport Nursery and interacting with the Airport Emergency Services team, we found our tents perfectly pitched for us at the open space inside Changi Experience Studio with the ‘million-dollar’ view of The Rain Vortex framed by the greenery of the Shiseido forest – a view that we don’t get to wake up to normally. The tents were comfortably spread out with other camping families, leaving plenty of room for us to play board games which the camp organisers thoughtfully laid out for loan.
True to a camping experience, there was ‘lights out’ time and a pre-set time to wake up, pack up and trot along for a modest but delicious breakfast at the Changi Lounge. Overall, the stayover was truly magical. Spending the night within the premise of Changi Experience Studio was an experience that our family will remember for a long time to come!
The 2D1N overnight camp includes educational and fun fringe activities like a Design Thinking Workshop, entry to Canopy Park as well as entry to the Changi Experience Studio. Your camp fees also come with over S$200 value-for-money inclusions such as:
- 3-month unlimited entry tickets to Changi Experience Studio (worth S$38)
- Canopy Park tickets
- Exclusive Airport Emergency Service Officer plushie (worth S$12.90)
- Mini ‘Green Wall’ workshop (one kit per child)
- 2-hour Changi Lounge access per adult (worth S$15)
- Changi Experience Studio photo print per pax (worth S$4)
- Self-disinfecting coating spray (worth S$8.90)
- One Singapore Zoo ticket per person (worth S$41), to be received after the camp!
- Changi Experience Studio tote bag (per family)
- Free parking (1 parking coupon per group)
- Do we need to bring our own tents and pillows?
Basic camp equipment such as clean and sanitised tents, foldable cushions will be provided. The tents will be pitched and kept by the staff.
- Where will the tents be pitched? Where will we sleep?
The tents will be pitched within the areas of Changi Experience Studio after it closes to the public. The areas will be thoroughly cleaned before the tents are pitched.
- How about toiletries? Do we need to bring our own?
Just like any camping experience, do bring your own toiletries, and change of clothes.
- Where do we shower?
Just like a typical camp, a timetable for showering will be designated for families at one of the nearby bathing facilities at Changi Lounge or at the YOTEL Airport Hotel.
- Where do we use the toilet facilities especially overnight?
Campers can use the toilet facilities inside the Changi Experience Studio.
- Do we need to bring our own luggage? Where will it be kept?
You can bring your own luggage. Like in any camp, you are expected to keep your own valuables next to your tent. No lockers will be provided.
- Is it totally dark at night?
No. Lights will be comfortably dimmed in and around Changi Experience Studio. You can bring along own eye shade if necessary.
- Will noise from nearby attractions and facilities affect our sleep?
Again, this is a camping experience. Just like any camp, there will be some ambient noise, but we didn’t find it too disruptive. The Rain Vortex will be turned off at 10pm. Noise that you’re expected to hear, aside from fellow campers waking up at night include the faint hum of cleaners’ machinery whilst doing their duties and remnant visitors’ distant voices from the terrace sitting areas at the Shiseido Forest etc.
- Is there an age limit to the camp?
There is a minimal age of 6 years-old for the safety and comfort of other campers.
- Are there any other facilities provided like charging points? Drinking water etc and is food allowed?
Bring your own power banks. Limited bottled water was provided. Food is generally not allowed in the tents. Should you need to consume food due to medical reasons, you may approach the staff for help.
- How about members of the public? Will they be walking around our tents or is the place completely sealed off for us?
The Changi Experience Studio will be closed for the campers’ use after operating hours and before it reopens for the public the next day.
- Are campers allowed to exit and re-enter the camp site overnight? Will there be security overnight? How about first-aid facilities?
There will be security and basic first-aid provided overnight in addition to the airport’s security services. Unless there is an urgency or emergency, campers are not encouraged to exit and re-enter the studio.
How to Book?
Location Changi Experience Studio
Period 26 November – 22 December 2021 (every Wed, Fri and Sun)
Timing 9.00am – 12.00pm the following day
November runs (early bird special): $128 (Adult) | $158 (Child)
For more information and to book the camp, visit the following website:
Have a fun-filled and safe school holiday!