This product can possibly save your children’s lives.
Cars, Commuting and Taking Chances:
Whether you own a car or not, chances are that your children will be commuting in a vehicle from time to time. In fact, while we can try our best to ensure our children’s safety in our own cars, at times when we do cab, commute in a friend’s car or travel in a chartered coach during overseas tours, we actually leave the safety of our children in the hands of other drivers. Fact is, even if we ourselves are safe road users, others may not be. So, we need to be prepared.
Introducing the mifold Grab-and-Go Booster:
At the launch of mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster Seat by TaxiBaby (a local online store selling car and air travel accessories founded by safety experts ), we found these statistics alarming:
• 3 times as many babies / young children die in car accidents in Singapore compared to the US.
• More than 50% of children in motor accidents admitted to our local hospital KKH were not restrained at all.
• Only 6.1% of children (aged 12 and below) are placed in proper child restraints seats.
• More than 95% of car seats for children were not properly installed or used correctly. Not all child restraint seats are universally suited for all vehicles.
However, despite all the education and exposure, I do know of parents who still do not use proper child restraint seats for the following reasons:
– Too bulky
– Too costly
– Too lazy
– Too tight space in car
– Too inconvenient to store if not used
– Kids refused to be buckled down
Insurance and the law: We know of friends who were indirectly involved in accidents (not their fault) but when the insurance company found out that their kids were not properly seated in child restraint seats / booster seats, they had their insurance payout significantly reduced and on top of that, they received a fine from the Traffic Police. Imagine that!
For us, though I always insist that my kids are properly belted in child restraint seats in our OWN car. However, the rule is thrown out of the window whenever we travel in our friends/relatives’ cars, in taxis or Grab/Uber cars and in public buses. It does seem foolhardy that I take greater risk on my kids’ safety while in others’ hands then in my own!
It’s Here!!! mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster!
Retailing at only S$99 and with a size just slightly larger than a a lady’s clutch bag, the world’s smallest, lightest and possibly safest child restraint seat – the mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster Seat, which has already been sold in more than 100 countries, has arrived on our shores. I’m particularly excited as we travel often with our kids and Angie cabs/ubers with Buddy daily to the childcare centre. In fact, I’ve followed this revolutionary mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster since its early crowd-funding, product development days. It is 10 times smaller (and lighter) than a regular child booster seat but yet certified to be just as safe. It has met all European safety regulations. More importantly, it is also approved locally by LTA and Singapore Traffic Police to be used in cars here.
Unlike traditional booster seats that lift a child up to an adult’s position, mifold holds the seat belt down to fit the child snugly, taking it off the child’s stomach and neck for maximum comfort and protection. An additional perk is that it is fully adjustable to fit children as they grow.
Our User Experience:
We share with you our experience of using the mifold Grab-and-Go® and why we highly recommend it:
1. Peace of Mind: The mifold Grab-and-Go® is small, portable and light. Angie can bring it around in her office tote bag and whip it out to use when cabbing with our kids. With the mifold, we won’t have to worry when our kids are carpooling with another family or risk being turned away by Uber/Grab drivers when we had to book private-hire cars.
2. Easy to Use: All it takes is less than 20 sec to hook the 3-point seat belt to the mifold and even faster to uninstall. Making it easy to just slip-in and slip-out of cabs and/or private hire cars!
3. Space-saving: No more bulky child seats taking up precious passenger space inside the car! You can comfortably fit 3 mifolds-in-a-row across the back seats of the smallest of cars which makes it perfect for larger families.
4. Compact: Regular booster seats will occupy a large part of the space in the car boot. With the mifold, we can tuck it away unobtrusively! It even can fit into the car’s glove compartment!
5. Travel Safe…anywhere in the world: Finally! We can bring our own booster seat along without incurring additional weight and bulk on our flights and save cost from renting booster seats from car rental companies – which can be very costly!
A live-demo of the mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster:
Steps to install the mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster:
a. Select the correct width on the miFold for your child by extending the sides of the mifold.
b. Place the mifold flat on the car seat. Get your child to sit snugly on it.
c. Fasten the seat belt over your child ensuring that the seat belts are fed into the guides on each side of the mifold.
d. Attach the mifold shoulder clip to the shoulder belt and you’re ready to use it!
FAQs about mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster:
1. Why can’t I strap my child to a normal seat belt? Why must I use a car / booster seat for my child?
The normal seat belts in cars are designed for the adult body. A child’s smaller body may not allow the car seat belts to give him / her optimal protection. A child’s body consists of many small and growing bones (they actually have a few hundred more bones than adults). Therefore their bodies are far more fragile than an adult’s, requiring its own dedicated car / booster seat.
2. Is the mifold suitable for all ages?
The mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster Seat is designed for children over 15kg, up to 150cm tall. For younger or smaller children, there are other suitable products such as the Ridesafer vest, which is suitable for kids up to 13.6kg that can enhance their safety at Taxibaby.sg (www.taxibaby.sg). Do check out the full range on Taxibaby website!
3. How do I know if my child still needs booster seats?
Under the Singapore Road Traffic Rules 2011, all passengers below 1.35m must use an approved child restraint or a body restraining seat-belt. The rule goes on to state that the child restraint (e.g. booster seat) must meet the country’s pre-determined safety standards.
4. How about if I hold my child tightly seated on my lap?
No matter how tightly we hold on to a child, our natural human instinct is to free our hands to protect ourself in the event of danger or impact. In so doing, we will instinctively release our child. Read more from this article.
5. Do I need to use child booster seats in private-hire cars booked via Grab or Uber?
Yes. These were recently reported here: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/grab-uber-not-exempt-from-child-seat-rules-lta At the moment, only Grab Family vehicles come equipped with mifold Grab-and-Go® Booster so it’s best to carry your own if you rely on public transport heavily.
6. I heard that its not needed to use booster seats in commercial taxis, is that true?
Yes, for now. However, exemption from use does not mean exemption from danger.
Ms. Elise Mawson, Singapore’s only Certified Child Safety Passenger Technician and Founder of TaxiBaby, shares with us why it is imperative to use booster seats for children.
TaxiBaby is Singapore’s most trusted travel safety specialty store, founded by Elise Mawson, an Australian-certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, Engineer, and most importantly, mum to 18 month-old Peter. Specialising in taxi and plane travel, Taxi Baby provides expert advice and safe, convenient products to help families put the fun back into travelling. Our services include professionally certified car seat installations, car seat selection concierge, travel safety workshops, private consultations, and helper training.
Online store: www.taxibaby.sg, Tel: +65 8866 3351, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To participate, simply do the following:
The giveaway ends Sunday 30 April 2017, 11.59pm and is open to readers in Singapore. The winner will be contacted using the email address provided when entering this draw and will have 24 hours to respond, failing which a new winner will be drawn. No requests for change in colours will be entertained.
All entries will be verified before the winner is announced, incomplete and unverified entries will be disqualified. Please note that all Facebook and Instagram accounts (e.g. accounts set up purely to take part in contests with no authentic posts or very few real friends) will be disqualified. By entering this competition, you’ll also be signing up for TaxiBaby’s newsletter. All the best!