‘This is way cool!’ ‘Where did you get these cards and learning materials from?’
Instead of the daughter, it was I, the Daddy, who was intrigued about the contents of the latest Junior Explorers ‘Mission Box’ that had just arrived in our mailbox (which I just happened to lay hands on before the daughter did). After I investigated the contents within the Welcome Kit and Mission Envelope, I couldn’t wait to embark on the mission with my daughter!
We know that the key to effective learning is to make learning authentic and interactive. We also know that from young, we can develop a healthy sense of curiosity in children, starting by exploring the natural world around them, with them.
Junior Explorers does exactly just that.
It is a hands-on, interactive learning subscription box where children can learn more about our planet as they take on the role of an explorer going on expeditions (‘missions’) to rescue wildlife in danger. Central to the learning is a dedicated Junior Explorers Website which guides young explorers through a series of interactive quizzes and games. Along with that are a variety of well-researched offline activities to supplement the online learning experience.
Each month’s mission will come in a mission envelope which comprises of:
- A Welcome Letter
- Stickers and Tattoos
- Mini Animal figurines
- Mission Wristband
- Mission Pin
- Animal Fact Cards
- Mission Instructions
- Activity Book
- Login information to complete the online exercises
There is a checklist to follow in order to complete the mission. Dana was sold from Day 1 of the journey and has been eager anticipating new mission envelope to arrive in the mail.
In addition, every Junior Explorer will receive a Welcome Kit in a box (‘trunk’) when they activate their subscription. Children are encouraged to decorate and personalise the ‘trunk’. There will be extra paraphernalia such as a sports water-bottle and a large World Map to accompany our children in their expeditions.
Dana is drawn to Junior Explorers for the following reasons:
• The high resolution photos, both in print and online.
• The fun interactive games which allow children to learn about a new eco-system & habitat each month.
• The comprehensive fact sheet which outlines key information about the climate, animals and the terrain of the habitat & eco-system.
• The animal cards summarize main facts about animal species living in those specific habitats at a glance.
• Post-card sized fact cards that allow the explorers to share their unique findings with classmates and friends.
• Temporary tattoos, colourful wrist bands, animal figurines to inject that extra bit of excitement and realism into the whole explorers theme.
So far, after two ‘missions’, this is what we parents like most about Junior Explorers:
• The interactive elements give children instant feedback on their understanding through quizzes and games.
• The combination of innovative online interactive strategies with that of old-school, paper-based learning.
• The online segments come with audio narration. This allows the children to work on the missions independently while learning the pronunciation and definitions of new vocabulary.
• Animation makes the learning of scientific concepts less abstract.
• High resolution photos bring the places, animals and peoples right into the study room for our children.
• Learning through deduction: Some of the interactive elements actually ASK questions which require children to pause, think and search for the answers.
• Parents learn together with children (just like what we did one hazed-in evening and picked up so many facts on Serengeti!)
• Children can learn at their own pace, anywhere, at home, at the airport or at a restaurant (as long as there’s Wi-Fi connection).
• Children are empowered to be more aware of environmental conservation and at the same time, contribute to conservation efforts: they play games + earn and give points to real world conservation projects. The Junior Explorers team will then convert these points to actual donations!
• Well-received by educators and parents in the U.S (where Junior Explorers was first launched).
With our children so attuned to modern technology, Junior Explorers rides on it to make the acquiring of new knowledge exciting. It also supplements the school’s science curriculum while harnessing the potential for parent-child bonding to take place in front of the computer (note: usually when youths get behind the computer, parents are shut off from their world but Junior Explorers encourages parent and child to work collaboratively!). With that, learning is truly something to remember for life.
With E-learning being the buzz word in primary schools, Junior Explorers is a fun, educational subscription box that receives our thumbs-up! The only grouse we have is that the website sometimes ‘hang’ or takes a while to load. We have given feedback to the web developers who have assured us they will resolve this.
SPECIAL DISCOUNT CODE!
If you are keen to sign your children up as Junior Explorers or bless another child as a gift, subscription start from a low S$25 per month. Use this special discount code LTM10 to enjoy a 10% off! This code is valid till 30 October 2016.
Sign up via this website: http://sg.juniorexplorers.com/
Thanks to our sponsor, we have a 6 month’s Junior Explorers subscription (worth SGD127.49) to be given to 5 loyal readers (those with children age 6 to 11). To participate, simply do the following:
This giveaway ends on 8 November 2015, 11.59pm and is open to readers in Singapore. The winner will be contacted using the contact particulars provided when entering this draw and will have 24 hours to respond, failing which a new winner will be drawn. All incomplete and unverified entries will be disqualified. All entries will be verified before the winners are announced. To be fair to our sponsors, please note that all fake Facebook accounts (e.g. accounts set up purely to take part in contests with no or very few real friends) will be disqualified.