Cultivating the ability to read and a love for reading is an integral part of every child’s developmental process. As parents, we all want our children to have good eyesight so that their learning development will not be impaired. However, with the popularity of hand-held devices for both recreational and educational usages, it is no wonder that Singapore’s myopia rate among children between the ages of 7 to 9 is the HIGHEST in the world! The same research also found the worrying trend that this rate worsens when a child progresses from primary school to tertiary education!
We have been in search of a good table lamp for Dana since last year when she began her K1 education which require her to do more desktop writing. Recently, we were invited by the good people at 3M to attend an eye care talk and to get acquainted with their latest LED desktop lamp, the 3M LED6000. Dr. Lee Sao Bing, Medical Director and Principal Surgeon of Shinagawa LASIK & Eye Centre, Singapore shared with us these 7 Practical Eye Care Habits, which apply to both adults and children:
1. Spend less time on unnecessary near work, including the use of hand-held devices – these activities require you to focus on small details or are done very close to your eyes.
2. Let your eyes rest after every 30-40 minutes of near work.
3. Ensure there is sufficient ambient lighting in the room.
4. Maintain an eye distance of 30-40cm away from your reading materials.
5. Ensure that there is even illumination on reading materials.
6. Invest in a good table lamp that reduces glare while providing ample lighting. Together with proper eye care habits, the right choice of lamp will help to reduce the onset of myopia.
7. When using table lamp at night, ensure that the room’s main light is turned on. Too much contrast in lighting will cause eyes to tire easily.
|The firm yet smooth levers and joints finished with a matte-brushed surface adds to the overall quality feel of the lamp.|
|The matte-brushed levers against the smooth surface complete with a pearl-white sheen adds to the elegance of the lamp.|
|Touch of class: Turn on the main power and you see the dimly lit control panel appear. No protruding knobs or buttons.|
|The 3M ‘Air Guide’ technology allows a small light chamber to deliver an energy saving and evenly distributed light.|
We used several of Dana’s picture books to test the level of glare. Children pictorial books tend to have a slight gloss or sheen to make the pictures appear brighter and more attractive. Although cutting glare out completely would be stuff of science fiction novels, we are happy that the 3M LED6000 did reduce glare significantly. Impressive!
|3M’s LED6000 LED Desk lamp with Air Guide technology reduces glare significantly.|
|The 3M LED6000 folds in neat and flat for storage.|
Overall, the 3M LED6000 impresses with its design and effectiveness. The cost of having bad eyesight: inconvenience of wearing spectacles, lifelong recurring costs of contact lenses and risks of eye diseases, far outweigh the cost of investing in a good, state-of-the-art desk lamp. With the 3M LED6000 lamp, coupled with good eye care habits, we could all help our family retain the good use of our natural eyesight and reverse Singapore’s reputation of being the myopia-central of the world!