I chanced upon this recipe last week when I had to fix a quick dinner for the family after a long, busy day at work. I opened my freezer, found a slab of white cod which the hubs had bought from the wet market the weekend before. I decided that I should bake instead of steaming the cod since it’s been frozen for a week. I googled for a recipe on my Iphone and bingo, found a life saver!
This recipe is so delicious and so easy to put together (2 main ingredients in 3 simple steps) that I cooked it twice last week on two consecutive days! It tastes almost as good as restaurant fare and our entire family loves it (especially the crispy bits and the fish that melts in your mouth). I guarantee yours will too!
Here’s my modified version of the recipe:
Baked Yummy Cod with Crackers
- 1 slab of cod fillet
- 1 tbsp of Teriyaki sauce
- 1 small packet of crackers (The original recipe calls for Ritz Crackers but I used a small pack of Khong Guan plain biscuits found in our pantry, about 3 square pieces). Didn’t know a humble Khong Guan biscuit can taste so super yummy when baked!)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temp)
- Lemon juice from half a lemon (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a small baking dish with a little oil or melted butter. Rinse the cod fillets with water, pat dry. Marinate with Teriyaki sauce. Place the fillets at the bottom of the baking dish.
2. Crush the crackers over a bowl with a spoon (I used hand); they should look like coarse breadcrumbs. Mix the soft butter with the breadcrumbs. Pack the crumb mixture over the top and sides of the fillets. Drizzle lemon juice over the fillets.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minute. Serve the fish with hot, fluffy rice and tuck in!