So it’s finally ready for boarding! KidZania, the world class role-playing theme park for children has finally opened here on Sentosa Island in Singapore on 12 April 2016! Having experienced KidZania in KL and Bangkok before, we have been waiting with bated breath for this day to arrive and it exceeded our expectations. Dana enjoyed herself thoroughly and is clamoring for us to bring her back! Here’s everything, (almost) that you need to know about KidZania Singapore plus tips on how to maximise your visit.
First, here’s a word you need to know: ‘KAI!’ Yes, say ‘Kai’ everyone! Because in KidZania, ‘Kai’ is Welcome, Thank You, Come Again… all rolled into one.
Take a virtual tour with us here:
WHAT EXACTLY IS KIDZANIA?
KidZania is a worldwide phenomenon where children from ages 4 and above can role-play a wide range of jobs. It’s kinda like an indoor theme park except it’s education plus entertainment all rolled into one! KidZania started in Mexico and here in South East Asia, Singapore is it’s newest and 23rd branch.
KidZania works closely with industry partners to provide realistic, immersive environments and equipment for the role-plays, therefore providing authentic learning for the kids. Their staff are all trained to engage children in the respective activities they are stationed at.
Once you enter KidZania city, you enter an exciting metropolis with paved roads, street lamps and lots of facilities (think bank, departmental stores, supermarket, park benches, baby care room and of course F&B outlets). It is modelled to simulate a miniature cosmopolitan city.
For children 8 years and below, a parent needs to accompany child into Kidzania. The parent will also be ‘tagged’ so that in the event that they need to trace the parent for assistance, they have a means to contact us. Individuals 18 and above must be accompanied by a child.
WHAT IS IN KIDZANIA SINGAPORE?
KidZania Singapore features over 60 types of role-play activities (Bangkok has 40 plus in comparison) in its 7,600 SqM fully air-conditioned venue suitable for children from ages 4 to 17 years old. Check the census board at each station to determine the appropriate age group of the job and the length of time required. From the board, you will know the amount of KidZos spent or earned (jobs with humanitarian purposes usually earn more KidZos).
There are two jobs which are only unique to KidZania Singapore: Traditional Meat Assistant (aka Bak Kwa Seller) and the Peranakan Museum Curator.
PLACES TO EAT INSIDE KIDZANIA SG:
There are several food options inside Kidzania Singapore: Killiney Coffees Shop, Warung M Nasin, Soup Spoon, KFC, Pizza Hut and more.
LIST OF ‘ICONIC’ JOBS IN ALMOST ALL KIDZANIAS:
* Airline Pilot (Aviation Academy)
* Cabin Crew (Aviation Academy)
* Fire Fighter (Fire Station)
* Paramedic (Hospital)
* Performer at City Parade
* Chef at Pizza Shop
JOBS COMPLETED DURING OUR 3-HOUR VISIT:
1. Pilot and Cabin Crew at the Flight Academy
2. KISS92 Radio Station DJ
After the DJ-ing, we can download our children’s audio file online (www.kiss92kidzania.sg) with a special code!
3. Police Woman at the Police Academy
4. Paramedic at the Hospital’s A&E Department
WHAT’S THERE FOR PARENTS AT KIDZANIA?
Having had experienced KidZania with our daughter thrice, I would say that it is a special feeling to see your child ‘all grown up’ and ‘striking out’ on their own. So, for us, it is certainly worthwhile being there to witness her participate in the activities (some activities allow parents to join in too). Besides, parents are allowed to take photos / videos by the sideline. These become precious memories for great family conversations! Kidzania Singapore has thoughtfully created a ‘Parents’ Lounge’ (at level 2) for parents to relax and chill while waiting for their children to complete their jobs.
HOW ELSE CAN PARENTS CAN BE INVOLVED IN?
1. Be a tourist at WTS2 Coach Station
2. Be an audience at Nickelodeon Theatre
3. Be a casualty at the Hospital A&E Department. Watch this video:
4. Be a spectator at the Kidzania Stadium
FOR TODDLERS BELOW 4
We are heartened to discover that there are two dedicated facilities within Kidzania Singapore for kids under 4. This means we do not have to leave our younger kids at home. Going to Kidzania can be a whole family outing!
1. Kindergarten – The Kindergarten is stocked with toys and bouncy surfaces for the little ones to discover their skills and abilities.
2. RightZKeeper Residence – The RightZKeepers Residence provides hours of fun through its variable programmes available for both adults and kids to participate in.
Take a Sneak Peek with us into RightZKeepers’ Residence and the Kindergarten:
HOW CAN I TAKE GOOD PHOTOS INSIDE KIDZANIA?
Do take loads of photos and videos of your kids in action. It will be a source of many meaningful conversations and moments. Since KidZania Singapore is an indoor venue, certain places may be dimmer to add that sense of realism into the city. Here are some tips for good photo-taking:
1. Use a zoom lens with wide-angle to mid-range zoom (e.g. 28/35-70mm): Parents are usually required to be outside the activity room / venue. So to take good photos of your child, you’d need to zoom in and out a fair bit to capture your child’s expression as well as the interesting surroundings they are in.
2. Use flash: It’s an indoor venue with indoor lighting. Using flash would ensure your photos turn out well-exposed. Alternatively, if using flash is not ideal (sometimes the glass will give you unwanted glare), you can increase your ISO settings to take photos without flash. For some cameras, you can select the ‘Auto ISO’ function.
3. Leave the tripod at home: Expect crowds. There won’t be space (and time) for you to setup your tripod. In fact…bring a selfie stick instead!
4. ‘Travel’ light: As a parent, you would probably be helping your child carry his/her belongings (bags, water bottles, jacket etc). Travel light so that you don’t lose your valuables and also so that you can capture those precious moments rather than fumbling with multiple lenses, accessories etc…
5. Take loads of Selfies with your child / family. Bring along a selfie stick and take loads of photos of you and your child. You can also purchase the photos taken by the official Kidzania photographers at the Canon Imaging Academy.
6. Power-up! : Remember to bring spare batteries for your camera or a power bank for your phone…I think you know why…especially if you are going to spend a whole day there.
7. Include yourself!: Whoever is taking the photos usually get left out….remember to get yourself in the pix!
15 TIPS TO MAXIMISE YOUR KIDZANIA SG VISIT:
1. Go early. Be there at opening (10am) to catch the opening dance and then be first in line for the popular jobs (e.g. Pilot, Cabin Crew, Fire Fighter, Police etc.) or your children’s “die-die must try” jobs.
2. Go on a weekday to avoid the weekend and public holiday crowd, or expect the queues to be crazy long.
3. Buy your tickets online so you can proceed directly to the boarding gate without being stuck in queue for tickets. There are also exclusive discounts for online ticket purchases.
4. Bring ample drinking water (and snacks) to last the day.
5. Wear comfy shoes as you’ll be standing most of the time for most activities.
6. Dress your children in comfy pants, jeans or tights (rather than dresses or tight skirts). Most of the role-play costumes come in the form of jackets and children may be required to sit on the floor for certain activities.
7. Bring a lanyard with a large plastic holder for your children to store their Kidzos and Maybank Debit Card (issued upon boarding). This will prevent them losing the items while performing their duties or in between activities.
8. Include a name card with your contact number in the lanyard so that your child can show it to the Kidzania staff whenever he/she is lost or unable to reach you after completing each activity.
9. Meals can be pricey, ranging from SGD8-20 per person per meal. Take a heavy breakfast and bring along some light snacks or buns to re-fuel the children should they feel peckish. Encourage your child to take part in food-related jobs close to lunch time (e.g. Pizza Hut, Soup Spoon etc) so they can eat these food for lunch and save on meals.
10. Apply for the Kidzania Passport once you enter the city (a one time Passport registration fee of SGD18 applies). It pays to be a Kidzania citizen. This passport is valid till your child turns 18. Remember to check you have the correct passport returned to you after each activity as ours was swapped by mistake.
11. Go to the Maybank counter (near the entrance) to activate your Kidzania Debit Card and claim the S$30 into your debit card account. By the way, the 2 jobs in the bank are the highest paid ones in whole of Kidzania SG.
12. If time permits, do attend the courses at The Learning Lab University. Children with degree qualifications will be paid more Kidzos after each activity.
13. Check with the the Kidzania Staff at the respective activities what is the estimated waiting time so you can plan whether to join the queue or come back later.
14. Bring extra power bank for your mobile phones. You’ve been warned. You will take lots of photos and videos throughout the day.
15. Devote the last 30 minutes before closing time to shop at the Kidzania departmental store with the Kidzos your child has earned or to browse through the photos taken by the Canon Photographers. You can choose to deposit the leftover Kidzos into your Maybank Debit Card before you leave.
FULL LIST OF JOBS FOR KIDS 4 AND UP
1. Actor at Acting-academy by Nickelodeon
Take the stage and train to be an Actor by taking lessons in acting, and showcase your newly acquired acting skills for your family and friends with a performance in the Theatre!
2. Artist at Art-Studio
Get crafty and let your imagination run wild as you create your own greeting cards and bookmarks! Adults are welcome to join in as well!
3. Pilot, Cabin Crew at Qatar Aviation Academy
Get a rare opportunity to be inside a cockpit and have a taste of what it feels like to operate an aircraft! Work in the sky as you flash your brightest smile and serve the passengers on board the flight as an esteemed Cabin Crew! It’s a pity though that adults are no longer allowed to role-play as passengers.
4. Service Manager, Wealth Manager, Cash Officer at MayBank Bank and Vault
At the Bank, assist fellow KidZanians with their enquiries and banking needs, and help them manage their kidZos with a bank account. At the Vault, be a Cash Officer and work as a team to prepare, deliver and protect the citizens’ money to ensure they reach their destinations safely!
5. Candy Design Trainee at Sticky Candy-shop
Learn how candies of different colours and flavours are made, and bring your little creations of sweetness back home for your family and friends to savour!
6. Chef at KFC Chicken Restaurant
Learn the steps to maintain food hygiene and assemble your very own delicious, finger lickin’ good burger. Enjoy it yourself thereafter, or share it with your loved ones.
7. Performer at The City Parade
Get loud and parade around the city together with the other performers, and bring everybody’s spirits up! This is one performance which you won’t be faulted for being loud!
8. Tour Guide, Tourist at WTS Coach Station
Be a Tour Guide and show tourists all the sights in KidZania Singapore! Or hop on the Tour Bus and witness the monuments and landmarks in KidZania Singapore as a Tourist! Adults can join in the fun too.
9. Junior Cashier, Store Assistant, Customer at 7-eleven Convenience Store
Role-play three roles in one place! Learn how to manage a shop and ensure your store is always well stocked to keep the customers happy! Or engage in retail therapy and shop to your heart’s content with your shopping list.
10. Courier at Courier Service
Safeguard the package to make sure it gets to the customers on time, and in its original state! Can you do it through the labyrinth of little streets in the city of KidZania Singapore? The challenge is yours!
11. Crime Scene Investigator at CSI
Do you have what it takes to crack the case? Be a Crime Scene Investigator and keep your eyes peeled for clues and hints that have been spread across the city. The citizens are counting on you!
12. Junior Dentist at Sunstar Dentist Clinic
Learn about the basics of oral hygiene and assist in conducting a dental surgery to remove the source of pain that is hurting our patient.
13. Customer at Departmental Store
What’s work with no play? Reward yourself for your hard work and shop till you drop with your kidZos at the Department Store! Find the best buys and the coolest knick knacks which money cannot buy. Only kidZos are accepted here.
14. Host, Video Editor at Discovery Documentary Studio
Get the chance to film and host your very own documentary! Learn how to edit your documentary by adding music or stock videos, and bring your finished work home for your select viewers.
15. Trainee Driver at Driving School
Apply for a driving license by familiarising yourself with the road signs and rules! Remember to drive responsibly, obey the traffic rules and in order to pass the final test. You must have a valid eye test from the optometrist before you can be issued a driving licence.
16. Driver at Driving Streets
Put your newly acquired driving skills to use at our driving circuit, and get yourself around the circuit in a safe and responsible manner. Most importantly, remember to visit the petrol station before you run flat!
17. Trainee Model, Visual Merchandiser, Fashion Coordinator, Runway Model at Camouflage Fashion Boutique
Attend our Modelling Class and learn how to catwalk in our Fashion Show, and showcase all your favourite pieces with your show-stopping poses. Adults are welcomed to be guests of the Fashion Show.
18. Fire Fighter at Fire Station
The fire is threatening to burn down the hotel. Put on your uniforms, hop on the big red fire engine and get ready to put out the inferno!
19. Health Researcher at Lifebuoy Health Institute
Learn about the importance of personal hygiene, and how it protects you from germs and keeps you healthy for all of your adventures. Health Researchers are also tasked to create a liquid soap mixture on their own as part their lesson.
20. Paramedic, Surgeon, Baby Expert, Radiologist at The Hospital, Accident & Emergency, Operating Theatre, Nursery and CT Scan Room
Be a hero and save lives! Respond to emergencies, ensure all patients are treated in time and learn how to care for infants. Want something more challenging? Be a Surgeon or help doctors and assist them in their cure for their patients.
21. Ice Cream Maker at Paddle Pop Ice-Cream- Factory
Learn about the ingredients that goes into the cold treat that everybody loves! Here’s your chance to make your very own ice cream and have some while you’re at it!
22. Photographer Student, Photojournalist at Canon Imaging Academy
Always wonder what happens behind the scene in the studio? Join the professional photographers at the Imaging Academy and learn proper camera techniques, and pick up tips on how to compose beautiful pictures.
23. Financial Services Consultant, Customer at AIA Insurance Office
Approach the citizens and protect their future by matching their needs to the available insurance policies. Also, don’t forget to remind your customers to apply for insurance before they attempt the High Ropes Challenge Course at the Mountaineering School.
24. Candidate at Job Information Centre
Unsure of what job to take on? Take the Skills Set Analysis test here to find out which jobs are recommended for you and get more KidZos when you complete the list of recommended jobs! Once you have gained some experience, you can come back here and prepare your resume.
25. Customer at Makeup Atelier
Looking for a makeover? Visit the Makeup Atelier and be at your best with your choice of look and personality. Artistic or dramatic, elegant or poised. Any look is possible at the Makeup Atelier!
26. Food Scientist at Abbott Milk Innovation Lab
It’s all about the science of food as you learn how to make formula milk. You will learn the importance of food safety and quality checks, and how Food Scientists are able to deliver nutritious and great tasting growing-up milk all the time.
27. Mountaineer at Camp Challenge Mountaineering School
Be a brave mountaineer and take on the High Ropes Challenge Course. Overcome your fears and earn the admiration of the citizens by completing the various challenges high above the city streets.
28. Journalist, Newspaper Delivery Crew at Newspaper Edition
Be an aspiring journalist and write about important events and news happening around the world! Or join the crew to deliver the newspapers fresh off the printer to the citizens of KidZania Singapore.
29. Optometry Consultant, Customer at Nanyang & Zeiss Optical Shop
Blur vision no more! Conduct eye tests for your customers and learn more about short-sightedness and astigmatism. Help them select the correct frame sizes and shapes once you have conducted their eye test. A valid eye test is required for driving school and driving streets.
30. Museum Curator at The Peranakan Museum
Learn about the work of a museum curator through taking care and displaying valuable artefacts from the unique Peranakan heritage. Put your creativity to test and curate your own masterpiece!
31. Assistant Petrol Station Manager at Esso Petrol Station
The city cars are depending on you to keep them running. Learn more about the different types of fuel and its applications, as you fill up the cars with fuel at the petrol station.
32. Pizza Chef at Pizza Hut
Create your own pizza, and have the freedom to arrange all of the delicious pizza ingredients on your pizza. Learn more about the ingredients and the dough, and watch it all come together at the Pizza Kitchen.
33. Police Officer at Police Station
Do you have the discipline and courage to protect the city? Ensure the safety of the citizens of KidZania Singapore as you patrol around the city with your fellow officers in blue, and keep a lookout for any signs of danger. Your call of duty might just be around the corner!
34. Radio Presenter, Technical Assistant at Kiss92 Radio Station
Be introduced to all of the high-tech equipment used in a live radio broadcast programme and learn how it is used to produce a radio program! Run your very own radio segment as you deliver chart-topping hits.
35. Junior Scientist at Yakult Science Laboratory
Bacteria are commonly frowned upon, but do you know that not all bacteria are bad? As a probiotics scientist, you will be responsible for the differentiation between the good and bad bacteria, and to use the good bacteria to benefit the health of others.
36. Assistant Soup Chef at The Soup Spoon Kitchen
Get in the kitchen and create a healthy bowl of soup! Be an Assistant Soup Chef and learn the steps and ingredients involved in whipping up a hot bowl of soulful soup, and discover its health benefits.
37. Audience at Nickelodeon Theatre
Come on in and enjoy exciting performances by aspiring actors! Adults are welcome to watch the kids put on the show too.
38. Traditional BBQ Meat Assistant at Lim Chee Guan BBQ Meat Store
Have you ever wondered how traditional BBQ meat is prepared? Discover the rich history behind this taste of tradition which is enjoyed by many, and learn how the meat is still cooked the traditional way using charcoal.
39. Undergraduate at The Learning Lab University
Invest in the power of knowledge and advance your career in the city with a degree from the city’s University! Learning never stops at KidZania Singapore.
40. Water Quality Assurance Specialist, Water Delivery Crew at Spritzer Water Quality Assurance Plant
As a Water Quality Assurance Specialist, you would have the important task of testing the purity of the city’s drinking water and ensuring that it is free of bacteria and chemicals. After which the crew will ensure smooth delivery of the water all over the city.
WHERE IS KIDZANIA SINGAPORE LOCATED?
Address: 31 Beach View, Palawan Kidz City, Singapore 098008
Tel: +65 6653 6888
By Public Transport: Get onto the Sentosa Monorail and ride towards Beach Station. From there, follow the signage or…just look out for the huge Qatar Airways 737 sticking out! The walk from Beach Station to KidZania Singapore is covered.
Drive towards Beach station. There’s a large covered carpark there. From there follow the signage and head towards KidZania Singapore via the covered walkway.
10am – 5pm Sundays to Thursdays
10am – 8pm Fridays and Saturdays, Eve of Public Holidays, Public Holidays and School Holidays
S$58 for child aged four to 17, $35 for adult aged 18 to 59, $25 for toddler aged two to three and senior citizen aged 60 and above. Infants aged under two enter free.
Book tickets online for a 5 per cent discount. Maybank credit card holders enjoy 10% discount. No re-entry is allowed.
VISITORS’ GUIDE TO KIDZANIA – https://www.kidzania.com.sg/visitors-guide-to-kidzania-singapore/
LET US BRING YOU ON A VIRTUAL TOUR!
JUNE HOLIDAYS SPECIAL!
This June holidays, KidZania Singapore holds its inaugural “Kids for a Greener World” program, where kids can learn how to take better care of Mother Nature through fun edutainment activities, in a city built just for kids. The theme focuses on biodiversity this year, and the city will be decked out with a new look and bustling with program activities to celebrate the splendour of the plant and animal kingdom in the world.
From 11 – 26 June 2016, the “Kids for a Greener World” program will showcase a unique art installation by Eco-Artist Didier Ng and Eco-Designer Zhao Jian Wen at the Main Square to highlight the impact of human actions on specific habitats. The art installation will be made from recycled materials contributed by various Industry Partners of KidZania Singapore. Besides the art installation, kids can have a chance to make their own turtle hatch-lings using recycled materials. An “eco-edition” of the City Parade will also be conducted daily at specific timings and kids can join in with a specially choreographed “environment cheer” with musical instruments made of plastic bottles. What’s more, kids will also get to earn extra kidZos at selected role-play activities.
Pop by our friends’ blogs for their take on Kidzania SG:
Thanks to our sponsor, we are giving away a Parent and Child Ticket (worth S$93) along with a Kidzania Goodie Bag (worth S$50). To qualify for the draw, simply do the following:
Complete the final steps in this Rafflecopter widget:
The giveaway ends 30 May 2016, 11.59pm and is open to readers in Singapore. The winners will be contacted using the contact particulars provided when entering this draw and will have 24 hours to respond, failing which a new winner will be drawn. All incomplete and unverified entries will be disqualified. All entries will be verified before the winner is announced. Please note that all fake Facebook and Instgram accounts (e.g. accounts set up purely to take part in contests with no authentic posts or very few real friends) will be disqualified. All the best!